Sign in to follow this  

something to seal header to front of motor

I have been noticing that I dont have a perfect seal with my mega bomb on my bike where it connects and my kxf didnt come with any type of seal originally. Is there any type of sealer that withholds heat that I could use? i would think if its not sealed perfect then a new header isnt necessarely going to make it better.

When you installed it, did you first tighten it to the motor before tightening it to the frame?

Permatex make a exhaust pipe sealer that works well and lasts longer than RTV sealant:thumbsup:

yeah, rtv doesn't last forever and i know that others have said the exhaust sealer is better, but i cannot find it anywhere near me. it's very frustrating to know there's something better to use and not have access to it.

Took me awhile to find too. Found it at a small auto parts store. Maybe you can order it online:excuseme: It helped with the decel pop on my bike........:thumbsup:Good luck.

does it generally pop when its not sealed well? Mine is popping a bit but pro circuit said its becasue it's likely running lean... Do I seal on the outside of the pipe or around the exhaust chamber before putting the pipe on? BTW, the pipe mounts with a bracket so there isnt two seperate brackets. It mounts up and has springs to hold it.

does it generally pop when its not sealed well? Mine is popping a bit but pro circuit said its becasue it's likely running lean... Do I seal on the outside of the pipe or around the exhaust chamber before putting the pipe on? BTW, the pipe mounts with a bracket so there isnt two seperate brackets. It mounts up and has springs to hold it.

Decel pop is a sign of being lean. However once jetted correctly the next place to look is the header to engine seal. Not sure about your bike, but mine has a flange that bolts to the motor. The header then slips over this flange and is held on with two springs. That is the joint to seal. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

thanks guys...just got some of that ultra copper... says only 700 degrees so will be curious to see if it holds. My next thought owuld be making my own gasket seal out of those muffler patches...since kawi doesnt have a gasket on their pipes. So do i just put this copper on then tighten down the header or do I let it set first?

Put it on and tighten everything down. Let it set overnight before you start it up or ride.