Sign in to follow this  

who runs a O/X-ring on their 2002+ cr250

I am running a O-ring chain on my 2005 cr250. I run a thin spacer behind my sprocket to prevent any rubbing on my case due to the wider chain. Did this because I had to on my crf450 that I used to have.

Since adding the wider chain, once last year I lost my countershaft sprocket bolt. I then got a new bolt and the "special" retaining washer ($20 for the pair). Last nite while working on the bike I noticed that the outer "special" retaining washer was cracked radially in 6 places. I am figuring that it is doe to the spacer behind the sprocket not allowing the outet "special washer to sit flush against the countershaft.

My question, anyone having problems with the chain rubbing thier cases without a spacer?

your spacer has the chain running out of alignment most likely. I have been running a DIS X-ring on my 03 CR125/500 since I built it with no problem. At some point I will replace the chain guide with a TM Designworks one.

Guess I should have checked for rubbing first before adding the spacer. Just assumed it would rub as it did on my old crf450.

I bought my bike with an o-ring, i would spin the rear wheel and it would not spin freely, Cleaned it and still no go. Put a non oring an the heel spins nice, i like it better. Doesent bother me to use an non o-ring chain and clean it afte every ride

Check out a DID VT chain. I've run them in a few different bikes. Awesome chain and it's narrower than any other non o-ring chain i've ever seen.

I run an o-ring chain on my 2001 CR250R. Yes it has rubbed the case but ever so slightly and I have not worried about it. I keep an eye on the rubbing but it has not got any worse.

I prefer the o-ring chain, less stretch and better sprocket life.

i run a non oring chain..

doesn't an o-ring chain reduce some HP anyways due to weight?

O/X-ring chains reduce the drag of the chain and actually perform better once the chain is warmed up from riding than a Non-O/X ring chain. Before the chain is warmed up, they don't move as freely as a non-O/X-ring does.

They actually aid in unsprung weight. The actual extra weight of a few rubber discs smaller than your fingernails would never be able to be noticed.

Dang, i better warm up my o-ring chain next time or i might seize it:smirk:

o k not meaning to jack this thread but, and might help Ulmanb pick his next chain, why use an oring or xring chain, I've had about the same chain life out of a oring and non oring chain. Non ring chain is a little less money also. I use the D.I.D. ertz or the Renthal R1 and have very good luck with either one.

One of the reasons I run a sealed chain is that I dont have to lube them which equates to I dont have chain lube all over the rear end.

I wash the chain, spray it with WD40 to dissipate the water and it is good to go for the next ride.

i used wd40 a couple times after cleaning it etc, but thats what spits every where even though i dry it, theres still splatter. I use chain wax and dont have a prob anymore.