How to align the rear axle correctly?

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but how are you guys aligning your rear axle correctly (08 YZ250).

The graduations on the axle block are clearly inaccurate, as the sprocket doesn't tell any lies. My new stealth sprocket doesn't look as fresh as it should after a few rides - despite using the correct chain tension and aligning the axle block graduations accordingly.

I gather the best way to set the alignment is to whip out the tape measure - any pointers for measurement reference points??

Cheers,

Berg

I aways count the indicator marks from the back of the axle block.

By Shoving a rag in between your chain and the rear sprocket and turn the wheel backwards when tightening the axle it takes up all the slack in the axle blocks to keep it nice and tight.

An idea I have thought about but not gotten around to doing is turning up a couple of rods to fit neatly through the rear axle and the swing arm pivot bolt,

then measure the distance between them.?

I use a caliper from the axle block to the inside of the swing arm where the adjuster screw comes out of, accurate down to the 1/1000th of an inch as long as its clean

While that is precise, the real goal of aligning the axle is to ensure that the front and rear sprockets are indeed in alignment. Measuring off the rear sprocket would be better in eliminating other variables (like the manufacturing of the swingarm itself)....