Sign in to follow this  

Dead DRZ...

Last fall I replaced the battery without knowing the stator was shorted...

Replaced the stator the next week and did the dielectric grease thing on all the connections I could get to and since then and over the winter the bike has been running fine.

Over the winter about once every 10-14 days I would fire it up and ride about an hour.

Last night I rode into town (about 15 minutes) and the bike sat a couple hours. I went to leave and the bike fire up and died right away. Then it was dead. Nothing, nada. No lights, no speedo panel, nothing...

I thought it was the fuse but it was okay so I got a jump and rode home with a dim headlight and no speedo...

The battery measured 1.5 volts when I got home.

What kiiled the battery??? The short time I ran the shorted stator or the 10degrees a couple months ago.

It did'nt ever have enough voltage to tigger the battery tender circuitry to start charging.

👍

Have you checked (or replaced) the connector referenced in the "Free Power Mod" ?

If the battery was not fully charged, and left in that cold snap we had ,it is possible the battery froze and was damaged.

In any case now that it has been run flat.. most likely it will not recover and require replacement.

So get a fully charged battery in place then run though the standard checks,, ALL connections, fuses and wires.

Then start the electrical diagnosis found in the DRZ FAQ. If you have not done the free power mod, start there, as a repair or just good upgrade there is no reason to NOT do it.

Have you checked (or replaced) the connector referenced in the "Free Power Mod" ?

I replaced the connectors during the stator replacement and was getting good voltage at the battery.

OK I should have simply asked.. Have you done the free Power Mod?

I replace the cheesy metri-pac / deutch connectors but I was getting

14.7 at the battery without the extra wire so...

NOPE

...but that's not gonna kill the battery...

The battery was replaced under warranty...

You shuold have seen the look on her face

when she put it on the tester...

👍

***???

🤣

when you install the new battery,recheck the charging system.

you need to do the free power mod. really not kidding .i dont care what connectors you used.