Sign in to follow this  

Can't upshift while standing

I'm having a difficult time shifting while standing up. I just starting riding and just got my boots, which are really stiff. Should I wait until they break in or raise the shift lever? I'm afraid if I raise the shiftt lever to much then I'll accidentally down shift alot. \

Also, do you guys ride with your feet pointed out when your not shifting or breaking. Are the pegs on your arch or ball of your foot?

I'm afraid if I raise the shiftt lever to much then I'll accidentally down shift alot.

That won't happen. What will happen, is that you might have to lift your foot off the peg to downshift.

If you do raise the shifter, it will feel weird at first. Give yourself more than thirty seconds of riding to get used to it and it might end up working for you.

I found that raising the shift a notch does make it easier to upshift whether standing or sitting, and I also have more travel in my ankle, so less missed shifts.

I never got used to it on one bike because I would hop on it, say "That's F'ed up" and change it back. On the XR, all of the splines were stripped, so I welded it, I accidentally put it a little high and figured I either get used to it or cut it off later. Got used to it within three miles.

Also, do you guys ride with your feet pointed out when your not shifting or breaking. Are the pegs on your arch or ball of your foot?

Arch, but that's not the right answer around here.

You can move it up or down a spline or two without too much worry until you find something that is comfortable and works.

As for your feet: when standing, it is advisable to stand "pigeon toed" on the balls of your feet, especially when learning to ride. This will keep your feet back from the shifter and brake and also help you learn how to squeeze the bike with your knees and legs while riding. Once you get really comfortable riding, you will start to move around alot on the pegs. The best riders dance all over the bike as staying still will not allow you to manuever well at all.

Boots suck IMO. I hate them even when broken in...but I always wear them. I am 10x better in just a pair of Doc Martens 3/4 boots but 100x more likely to get hurt. Not worth it at my age. You just gotta get used to mx boots and push on.

I ride with the pegs in the arch of my foot, toes pointed outward, only bringing the toes in when I need to shift or brake. You might try a few more rides in the new boots before changing any control positions, especially if the setup worked fine for you before the new boots.