Sign in to follow this  

XR80R rear susp swap

I've just purchased a DEAD MINT 1993 Z50R for my 7 year old son, It came in a package deal w/ a DEAD MINT 1993 XR80R... I figured the 80 would be great to kinda put around the yard and follow/ride with my son.... and eventually let him graduate to that in a couple years. The problem is I'm a big fatso at 250+... too heavy for the 80... and bottom out the rear suspension.

I talked w/ a very helpful guy at BBR about a stiffer spring but they dont make one for the XR80... My question is what other rear shocks are compatible? I know BBR makes stiffer springs for the CRF 70 and 100, can I swap one of those shocks out and add the BBR spring?

Thanks

Dude, do what I did and save about $80-$100 on buying a heavy spring and a XR100 shock. Take the shock spring off (not easy unless you make or buy a tool) and add about a 1/2" spacer to the bottom of the shock. You will preload the spring and make it stiffer. I think that would be about right for your weight. I weigh 190 and I added a 1/4" spacer. It helped quite a bit.

If you don't like working on stuff and you have some money, buy the Works shock. That's what everyone seems to be talking about but they're like $300-$400!

I don't remember, but does a xr100 shock fit in there? It's a little longer (but still crappy), and will work for a BBR spring. At 250 lbs you might need a longer shock so the rear sag be equal to a smaller shock and a lighter person.

Fletch-My bro in law is a bike mechanic... so he should have no issue w. the spacer. Is it just a spring compressor that I need? and what did you make the spacer out of?

Socal- I guess thats my actual question... does anyone know if an XR/CRF100 rear shock is a direct fit?

Thanks

Eric

I have never swapped the shocks out, but I was thinking they were both 10 1/2". I may be wrong though.

The spacer trick is a great "cheap" way to go, but it isn't perfect! The rebound will be harsh, but in my experience it is not too bad. A BBR spring's rebound is harsh also. Nothing you can do about that.

As for the spacer, you could used anything. I used a torch to cut out a round steel washer then ground it smooth with a bench grinder. Aluminum would work, but I thought it was easier for me to make one with the torch and the torch don't work on aluminum.

The spring compressor is what you need. You can do this trick easily with that tool. I had to make one so it was a PITA for me.

I believe the shocks are the same length. You could put the swingarm from a xr/crf 100,which is longer,to raise the rear of your bike. Keep in mind that you will need the longer brake rod from the 100 and a longer chain.The longer front forks will also bolt on,which will raise the front,due to the longer fork legs. 👍

Sorry to thread jack but how much would swapping the 100 swingarm and forks raise the bike? I'm thinking about doing this to my XR80.

80 and 100 shocks are the same legnth but the 100 has a slightly thicker spring/rate

the 100 forks and swingarm should raise it about an inch but I personally prefer the 80 set up w/100 engine and custom forks/shock. keeps it lite.