Sign in to follow this  

ASV lever/perch problem

hello

just got new-to-me bike last night, and there is considerable slop in the asv lever/perch. It looks like the part of the lever that fits into the perch necks down, and it is too thin for the perch. I don't know if I've got mismatched parts or maybe the lever is just worn out, though I can't imagine it wearing to that degree. It still works fine, I just can't stand sloppy controls. Anyone else been here?

thanks

j

hello

just got new-to-me bike last night, and there is considerable slop in the asv lever/perch. It looks like the part of the lever that fits into the perch necks down, and it is too thin for the perch. I don't know if I've got mismatched parts or maybe the lever is just worn out, though I can't imagine it wearing to that degree. It still works fine, I just can't stand sloppy controls. Anyone else been here?

thanks

j

I dont have a clue what your calling necks down but if the ASV lever is in the stock perch then it will be loose.

9x's out of 10 if you have an ASV lever and just put it on the bike with the stock clutch perch the perch will be wider than the thickness of the ASV lever at the end where the cable fits on.

You will probably need a universial perch from ASV or if the bike you have does have the ASV lever then the bearing in the the lever is worn out and you need to call ASV and get a rebuild kit for the lever and rebuild it so it will be tight again and not sloppy.

i had to redo mine about three months ago but it lasted for 3 years for i had to rebuild it.

yep i think i have an oem perch, and you're right it is too wide for the lever.

Every ASV lever and perch assembly I've used had a lot of slop in it. (Using the complete assembly, nothing stock.) The assembly on my practice bike probably has 2 inches of vertical movement at the ball on the end of the lever.

can you use a washer to shim the lever with a stock perch?

i don't have ASV levers, i'm just asking out of curiosity....

well looked again and it is the asv perch allright. don't know why the lever is not a good fit in there. Black up you are right, I've got quite abit of play. Well, no worries I can live with it.