Sign in to follow this  

Rebound damper and push rod question

47mm Showa fork – 2007 RM250

When you turn the rebound clicker on the bottom of the fork it is keyed to the push rod which turns WHAT in the rebound valve? I’ve got mine fully apart right now and when I put the push rod back in the tube (damper rod?) to test it out nothing turns. I’ve gotten to this point from doing a fork seal job and noticed the rebound clicker would not turn when put back together. The other fork is back together and works fine.

Is there something within the rebound tap and damper rod that should be turning? I have not removed the rebound tap yet (and would rather not).

The push rod engages with something in there, but whatever it is it does not turn.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

47mm Showa fork – 2007 RM250

When you turn the rebound clicker on the bottom of the fork it is keyed to the push rod which turns WHAT in the rebound valve? I’ve got mine fully apart right now and when I put the push rod back in the tube (damper rod?) to test it out nothing turns. I’ve gotten to this point from doing a fork seal job and noticed the rebound clicker would not turn when put back together. The other fork is back together and works fine.

Is there something within the rebound tap and damper rod that should be turning? I have not removed the rebound tap yet (and would rather not).

The push rod engages with something in there, but whatever it is it does not turn.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

That rod is "D" shaped so it is keyed to the rebound adjustor bolt, and then on the other end it is keyed to a needle that is threaded (and sealed via an o-ring) so that as it turns in and out the adjustment is made.

In other words, the adjustor and d-rod just spin on the SHOWAs, whereas the KYBs everything moves up and down.

That said, it's fairly common for something to jam and for the d-rod to strip out.

Note that the click you feel is generated in the adjustor bolt, not at the needle. And that on many SHOWAs the rod sits into the damping rod by about 5 to 10mm so you may not feel anything until you make the connection with the needle.

👍

Thanks. I think maybe when I was threading the center bolt on the rod I may have gone to far and pressed the keyed needle (via the D - shaped push rod) into the rebound tap and jammed. And that's why it's not turning. Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions for what to do from here? Thanks again.

Thanks. I think maybe when I was threading the center bolt on the rod I may have gone to far and pressed the keyed needle (via the D - shaped push rod) into the rebound tap and jammed. And that's why it's not turning. Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions for what to do from here? Thanks again.

Can't really say without seeing it or having more evidence.

Is the rod damaged? Can you get the rod to turn the needle?

The rod is the weakest link, by the way. So I doubt you have done any damage internally. The needle might be jammed and needs a little work setting it free, but other than that, if something were to break or give way it would be the d-rod thing.

And that's why it's not turning.

isn't it turning to either side?

Yes, the needle wasn't turning either direction. The D-rod was undamaged. I ended up taking it to a local suspension shop just minutes away from me and they took it apart. The needle was jammed in the rebound tap and they got it free. Now it turns in there. Thanks for your help guys. It was frustrating but ended up not being that big a deal. Still gotta put everything back together again, though. Thanks again!