2008 crf250 timing advance

Thats a subject you dont hear much about, not much info about that.

If you do advance your timing make sure you use a high octane gas to avoid any problems with detonation or pre ignition.

CDI ignition system, dont think the 08 has a programmable module like the new models do.

A couple ways to do it-could change the initial spark timing setting by changing the flywheel position on the crankshaft, also could alter the bracket that holds the pulse generator.

Most guys probably just put an aftermarket module on it.

Hi you can not just move the cam sprocket by even one tooth as it makes a massive change to the cam timing,you can change the ignition timing by shaving the key on the side the bit that sticks above the end of the crank this will allow you to turn the flywheel slightly before you tighten it back up once its tight it will not move on the crank taper,it is possible to get about + or - 4 degrees change in timing.Martin.

I'd have to guess these R engines are tweaked pretty damn hard already by the original engineers... I doubt there's anything good at all to really gain from adjusting the timing.

I guess there was a little mis understanding about what "advancing the timing" meant, valve timing or ignition timing.

Getting more power out of these motors is about making a number of small changes, as well as the usual engine mods like a high comp piston, cam and exhaust etc.

I agree with you that they already have these engines tweaked pretty good from the start.