Sign in to follow this  

'04 airbox & '05 boot on '02

The airbox on my '02 is cracking, so it's time to replace it. I could just buy a new '02 airbox. The price for a new '02 airbox is $111.99 vs. an airbox for the '03-'04 for just $55.87. Since it's time for a new air filter too, I can buy that for either year just as easily. If I buy, the '03-'04 airbox, I assume I will also need the new cage ($32.70) and bolt ($5.09) too. Hence, the price ends up being within $10 for either option. If I understand correctly, the '03-'04 is a bit bigger, making it slightly harder to change the filter. Are there any other pros/cons of going one way over the other? I am not certain if my current set up has the fix for the infamous '02 airbox leaking problem or not. As I ride mostly sand, a good seal is pretty important to me; hence I'm leaning toward the '03-'04 airbox.

I've also thought that I might use an '05 air boot. I've heard that the air flows better through it, thus giving a bit more power. If I do this, will it mate up properly with the airbox and carb, or will I need some additional parts? Also, is it likely that such a swap will require changes to my jetting?

The box on my '02 was terrible. Definitely, made for ease of assembly not sealing. In '03, they went to a steel airbox filter base and a double-lip boot. The '02, as you know, has a single lip boot that just mounts flush to the airbox.

If it were me, I'd go with the '03 airbox. In '04, they went back to the plastic crap although I do believe, if my memory is correct, it had a double-lip boot.

I would think that no jetting changes would be necessary for an airbox switch.