Sign in to follow this  

White gunk on dipstick (pic)...

It's only in the dipstick tube (frame tank). Oil was just changed, and just did about 60 miles in the dirt. Oil looks great otherwise, and no signs of this white junk when I drain the oil, or in the filter housing. I did, however, find just a small amount of this white junk in the right side engine casing when I did the loctite fix.

Is it from getting water in the oil at some point?

Doesn't look like it's hurting anything, just wanted to check.

Thanks,

Steve

8607dc5a.jpg

Looks like your neighbour has made your bike his girlfriend..

Sorry, couldn't hold back..

Looks to be a bit of moisture emulsified oil.

Do lots of very short trips? or dunked the bike in water?

The oil tank is large and open to air, it will get a bit of condensation in there. Super short trips where the oil and bike are not up to operating temp long enough to vaporise that moisture can cause a bit of white / Grey foam / oil on the dip stick.

as can dunking the bike in a water obstacle and not getting all the water out with several oil changes.

Don't want to sound doom and gloom, but I had that when my Waterpump seal failed. Hope it's not the case.

Don't want to sound doom and gloom, but I had that when my Waterpump seal failed. Hope it's not the case.

Just replaced the water pump and seals. Stuff has been in there from day one (of me owning it...2 years or so).

Steve

Just replaced the water pump and seals. Stuff has been in there from day one (of me owning it...2 years or so).

Steve

Then back to bronco's question- do you take a lot of short rides where the oil doesn't get hot enough to boil the water off?

Nope, usually fairly long rides. It gets plenty warm. Think its just left over and isn't getting flushed out by oil changes?

Steve

Tell me more about this moisture emulsified oil...

I had some white gunk on the valve cover of my 08 CRF450X not too long ago that completely baffled me. I don't take too short of trips. About 8 miles each way to work and back - bike is fully warmed up. The bike doesn't have that many hours/miles on it either, but I am the second owner - so I don't know the complete history.

IMG_4514.JPG

It was pretty thick stuff:

IMG_4516.JPG

First thing I thought was coolant in the oil, but I haven't used any coolant at all, and it's clean (water / water wetter)

IMG_4517.JPG

Edit:

Want to add that most of these commutes where in pretty cool weather in the morning - maybe around 35 - 50F when I was riding the bike. On those cold days, My vapor would barely read over 110 degrees when cruising (45-55mph in the city). I'm wondering if the bike just didn't get warm enough, especially with the water/water wetter mix.

I don't think 8 miles is enough to really get the oil cookin to evap all moisture.

Take it out for an hour or two then check it.

I don't think 8 miles is enough to really get the oil cookin to evap all moisture.

Take it out for an hour or two then check it.

Yeah, I was reading a few things on the net, and I agree with you. Florida summer should rectify the situation in no time 👍

You know, I rode a lot through the winter here. Many times were below freezing. Sometimes, on roads going about 50, my Vapor wouldn't even read. So, less than 100F at the top of the rad. Usually I was seeing no more than 120.

Maybe that's what happened.

Steve

You know, I rode a lot through the winter here. Many times were below freezing. Sometimes, on roads going about 50, my Vapor wouldn't even read. So, less than 100F at the top of the rad. Usually I was seeing no more than 120.

Steve

Same here man. On those cold days (upper 30's perhaps), my vapor would maybe go up to 105 while my bike was warming up, but as soon as I hit the roads, it would drop below the 100.

Steve

Same here man. On those cold days (upper 30's perhaps), my vapor would maybe go up to 105 while my bike was warming up, but as soon as I hit the roads, it would drop below the 100.

It really sounds like the temps are just not high enough to drive the water out of the oil.

I have always had the same situation all winter with my bike. I ride 20 miles + each way rain or shine and ride it hard. The temps are from 25 to 50 on an average all winter and it never cooks off the gunk. With regular oil changes it will be fine. (03 E)

Looks like your neighbour has made your bike his girlfriend..

Sorry, couldn't hold back..

👍

'Dont care who ya arr..That was funny...

At 35-50 degrees you could tape off half of one of you radiators. The oil in my E model was barely warm to the touch after a 50 degree ride Friday. 100-110 degree water temp is surely too low.