Sign in to follow this  

Welding inner center case kickstarter stop

Anyone done it? My f@&*%$^&**&&^ ing kickstarter back-kicked & broke the nub internally that stops it, has 2 bolts & a steel plate and, of course, the darn kicker arm that should be sacfaficial is just dandy!

Swell.

Anyone had any luck welding on these cases? Any experience, tips or anything is appreciated. If I never kickstart another Husky it'll be too soon.

This is the second one that bit me, first broke the entire rear of the case clean off so I guess this is better, LOL!

This bike is the compilation of parts from my SMR/TE and TC, well, it WAS what was still good. If these cases are shot I've got a $2000 fully rebuilt lump that is near worthless. Great engine especially with TC head & counterbalancer but these kickers/cases are crapola! 👍

Should not be an issue for a good welder. I have seen many a head and cylinder (both cast parts) welded very successfully.

I have a 2007 TE510 and kick started it and it kicked back and split the case. The bike was 2-3 months new and I took it back saying ***? Now, being a shady deal I'm not quite sure what happened. But they said it was a recall that Husky had. That bolt that stops the kick start wasn't even there, or was too short. But at $2500 in parts and 16 hours labor all is good now. My husky seems cursed though. 👍

Did they cover that? I know its not an option for me but one reason I bought 5 Huskys was the way they treated me when I had a problem with my first 3. Everything was covered & customer service was outstanding from the importer. My dealer was great too but the fact they approved everything was a big A+ for me. Now I doubt they are doing as well in that area.

After dropping a cool $2k into this engine, I'm not so keen on doing it again 8 hours later, especially when the parts are fine, its the damn cases that could again crack with the first drop of the kickstarter.

Bummed.

Did they cover that? I know its not an option for me but one reason I bought 5 Huskys was the way they treated me when I had a problem with my first 3. Everything was covered & customer service was outstanding from the importer. My dealer was great too but the fact they approved everything was a big A+ for me. Now I doubt they are doing as well in that area.

After dropping a cool $2k into this engine, I'm not so keen on doing it again 8 hours later, especially when the parts are fine, its the damn cases that could again crack with the first drop of the kickstarter.

Bummed.

Call Bob at Central Jersey Cycles.... About two months ago he had a customer who had blown up a SM motor and I there was talk about parting it out.

Also Fuji's Factory in Delaware has a set of cases on EBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUSQVARNA-510-TC-TE-450-ENGINE-MOTOR-CENTER-CASES_W0QQitemZ110511101214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19baf9951e#ht_500wt_1182

Starting bid was $350.00 but if you call him directly and offer him half he might do it... tell him I sent you.

Edited by HuskyRips

Yep. Exact same thing just happened to me. '09 TC450. I was told it needs a new case half. It was explained to me that the CDI is set up for electric start. Starter motors turn over very slow. If you give the bike a "good" kick, that's way faster than the elec starter can turn it over. Fools the bike into thinking it's running. Timing advances too early and BLAM!! Piston fires backwards and breaks stuff. No fix to date. Aftermarket CDI would be sweet. Sucks, you start the bike a few hundred times like butter, one time you get a little carried away and you are done. When it comes back, I'm gonna find out how slow it can be kicked over and still start.

seems like an on going issue with the 03 and up Huskys,..and still Husly wont help???

iv been watching this for a while...Husky really needs to get this issue delt with..

was told this was an 03 to 05 issue, and that the 06 and up bikes dont have the problem anymore...looks like it still is.

Thanks guys. The problem is, why rebuild it AGAIN? This is my 3rd set of cracked engine cases, all in the last 3 years, all 06 Husky DOHCers. I'm going to try a welding solution & see if it flies for now.

The cases are made of glass & mine had a kickstart issue from new. The 07 decomp parts were the cure, easing kicking to near effortless, but every once in awhile, it'll kick-back & its a 50/50 shot that the cases crack by my guesstimates/experience.

i have a te450 and just broke the kickstarter as well! who knew they weren't meant to be used. all husky can say is that these kickstarters were a problem in the beginning but they now SELL an updated version. i;m surprised that husky put crap parts on these bikes. $118.00 shipped is what i was told !

Count your blessings if it was just the kicker itself! I wish I had that problem.

are the new cases aluminum or Magnesium???try and find someone that can weld Mag,,

thats an art form in itself.

Alum use 363 series cast rod will be fine with a good welder.

If k-starting have the k-start decomp valve lifter on the cam. If using E-start have the E-Start one.

Never open the throttle while kicking will kick back every time and will break things.

When we quit bitching about the weight of these motorcycles then they will be bullet proof and weigh 400 lbs again.

Later George

Thanks George, I'll be talking to my metal guy this week. Wish I could agree with the weight opinion of yours, my 450SXF is E-start and is lighter than my kick only Husky. The guy who engineered this kickstart from the lever to the cases should be taken out back and...👍