Sign in to follow this  

ok to ride on leaking forks?

My bike has been sitting for the least few months. I pulled it out to day and started it up and took it around the block. Well after i put it away i went and looked at it a few min later and there is oil leaking down the left fork tube. I also noticed when riding the bike felt like it was leaning to the left. I will fix it but i was planning on going riding tomorrow. I dont want to mess anything up so i wont ride it if thats the case. Just looking for some advice. thanks

I blew my fork seals in practice and then rode 3 motos with oil pissing out. Forks felt horrible but i still got a 13th and nothing broke. Just make sure no oil gets on your front brake.

cool thats what i was hoping to hear. im just going to a buddys farm. just some fields and some trails in the woods. Will probably be the easiest day the bike has ever seen. thanks

pry out the outer dust seal, slide it down then take a very thin feeler gauge, slide it up the fork leg into the seal and slowly work it around. Chances are there is some junk in there and once removed it will stop leaking. This has worked for me on a few bikes.

Both my bikes started leaking on the left first so when I finally got around to resealing them I had to change brake pads too.

Both my bikes started leaking on the left first so when I finally got around to resealing them I had to change brake pads too.

Happened to me too, as well as fine dust gumming the pads along with oil.

I just gave them a good rinse in some petrol, and they were fine:ride: