Sign in to follow this  

Starter Jet?

Have an 08' 250R with the typical hard starting. 👍 There is a jet near the main, opposite the pilot, which I believe is called the starter jet. Is that correct? The stock 68 is in there right now, do people typically swap these out for different sizes?

Devin

I worked on an '08 a few months ago that took at least 50 kicks to get it started cold, usually more. Once it was warmed up it would start first kick and ran great. The owner said it had been this way since purchased new. After checking everything out (valve lash, cleaned carb, compression test) I decided to try a 72 start jet. With the bigger start jet it will start in no more than 5 kicks.

If you have already checked your valve clearance and made sure the carb is clean it might solve your problem.

To answer your question, it's not a jet that is typically changed but in this case it could be the fix.

Cold starting isn't the problem on this bike, its hot starting. It starts first kick when cold, everytime. Hot is a different story, but I am going to mess with some jets today and see if I can get it running better.

Ok, the start jet only meters the fuel for the choke circuit so I would leave it alone. The stock main was a little rich on the '08 (180 I think). You might try 1 size smaller on the pilot which should help with the hot starting issue. Get the pilot dialed in first and then work your way up to the main.

Heres my current jetting:

Main: 182

Pilot: 50

Leak: 30

Starter: 68

AS: 2 out

Does it sound like I need to go down on the main? Bike has a slight bog, but is starting a lot better now, and idles smoother. I had a 52 pilot, and went down to a 45. Was popping a tad on decel and had a huge bog, so I went to a 50.

Heres my current jetting:

Main: 182

Pilot: 50

Leak: 30

Starter: 68

AS: 2 out

Does it sound like I need to go down on the main? Bike has a slight bog, but is starting a lot better now, and idles smoother. I had a 52 pilot, and went down to a 45. Was popping a tad on decel and had a huge bog, so I went to a 50.

Seems like this thread has dried up a bit!!

Heres my 2 cents worth; I would say main is good, pilot to big go back to 42 or 45, Leak may be better at about #55, set squirt to just miss the slide when you blip the throttle and AS 1.5 turns.👍

When you start from cold give it 2 or 3 wacks of the throttle,get it tdc and give a firm kick

Thats for sea level and up to about 3000ft.

Also thats why your bike doesn't like starting when hot; "its 2 rich"

I worked on an '08 a few months ago that took at least 50 kicks to get it started cold, usually more. Once it was warmed up it would start first kick and ran great. The owner said it had been this way since purchased new. After checking everything out (valve lash, cleaned carb, compression test) I decided to try a 72 start jet. With the bigger start jet it will start in no more than 5 kicks.

What is the altitude where you ride? What are your current jetting settings (main/pilot/needle clip/leak)?

Thanks

What is the altitude where you ride? What are your current jetting settings (main/pilot/needle clip/leak)?

Altitude is between 600 to 1200 ft.

Pilot- 42

Main- 178

Needle- Stock 3rd clip from the top

This was a customers bike from back in November so I'm going off of memory on the jetting. It had about 5 hours on a fresh top end. After verifying valves were in spec, thoroughly cleaning the carb, and making sure the hot start was functioning properly I tried a 45 pilot which was too rich but didn't help the cold start problem at all. First attempt you could wick the throttle about 10 times and with the choke on it might sputter. Wick the throttle about 10 more times and it would sputter again. This would continue for 50 kicks or more until it would eventually run. I've never changed a start jet before but it was obvious this bike was not getting enough fuel to start cold. Going to the larger start jet fixed it.