Anyone know what the resale value of this is?

Don't paint the plastic whatever you do, it will really look bad. It all depends on what it looks like when you say it needs a paint job. If it's never been fixed up or partially restored maybe $600. Not fully restored but really nice might be $1,600.

Try craigslist or cycle trader or any other used bike sales source. That will give you a general idea. If the bike is rare (I never heard of a 1981 CR450R) it might take some time to find a price range but the info is out there. Otherwise...

Don't paint it. Most classic enthusiasts or anyone familiar with older bikes will pay more for the original condition. Just clean it up real good and make sure it's mechanically sound (brakes, tranny, wheel bearings, steering/forks, rear suspension, etc)

do you have a pic? I would like to see it, they are rare bikes. ive heard of this 2 stroke 450 but never seen it. I think they only made the cr450 in 81 and 82, then they made a cr480 for 1 or 2 years, then in 83 or 84 they came out with the air cooled cr500, then liquid cooled cr500s around 85. someone correct me if im wrong.

2rrt4zl.jpg

Thanks everyone. I've tried searching and searching but can't find any others that've been listed.

Santan9-They were only manufactured for 1yr. I WISH my bike looked as good as the one in the picture. LOL It's an old bike, and looks it...but boy does she run! The bike is very mechanically sound. I'll try to attach a picture. Not sure if I can figure it out. -I think I have to have it on a photobucket account to add the picture. I don't have one.

Thanks everyone. I've tried searching and searching but can't find any others that've been listed.

Santan9-They were only manufactured for 1yr. I WISH my bike looked as good as the one in the picture. LOL It's an old bike, and looks it...but boy does she run! The bike is very mechanically sound. I'll try to attach a picture. Not sure if I can figure it out. -I think I have to have it on a photobucket account to add the picture. I don't have one.

just use tinypic.com or imageshack.us.

photobucket is the dumbest image uploading site to ever be created. the fact that you need to create an account just aggravates the hell out of me and I dont understand why people even use that site when sites like tinypic and imageshack continue to exist. theyre both free, easy, and dont need you to make an accoun and give up your email address to spammers.

if you say your bike is mechanically sound, thats good. it might be worth to take apart, and get some parts powdercoated and you can make some decent money off it if you can get it looking nice. my dad rebuilds minibikes from the 60s. it takes a few hundred bucks and a few nights of his time, but theyre flawless condition when hes done and can probably be sold for some nice profit.

just use tinypic.com or imageshack.us.

photobucket is the dumbest image uploading site to ever be created. the fact that you need to create an account just aggravates the hell out of me and I dont understand why people even use that site when sites like tinypic and imageshack continue to exist. theyre both free, easy, and dont need you to make an accoun and give up your email address to spammers.

if you say your bike is mechanically sound, thats good. it might be worth to take apart, and get some parts powdercoated and you can make some decent money off it if you can get it looking nice. my dad rebuilds minibikes from the 60s. it takes a few hundred bucks and a few nights of his time, but theyre flawless condition when hes done and can probably be sold for some nice profit.

I went to tinypic. Giving this a try.

295sl7q.jpg

it works. thats not too bad of shape, ive seen much worse. little wear and tear but what you expect for a 30 year old bike. if you really want, im sure that can be worked on and made look damn near brand new, the plastics might be a tough one though. but its def got potential.

personally, I would fix it up and keep it, or fix it up and try to sell it to some sort of a collector, that would be a very nice restoration project bike IMO.

hmm. interesting: http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1981-honda-cr-450-96484031

http://www.vmxracing.com/part-75.htm

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?category=3&manufacturer=3&year=1981&model=3277

new plastics, lots of parts being taken apart, maybe a few OEM parts, some powdercoating, and youe got yourself one nice lookin bike!

as is- in canada, you could probably get 600+ for it as is. we sold an 84 cr500 in rough condition 2 years ago for 500$, so surely yours is worth more than that.

and restored, maybe around 2000$ judging by that first link I posted.

but in the USA, id guess its worth 100-200$ as is now, and 1000$ if you fix it to perfection! I dont know whats with the canadian/american economy, but bikes up here literally go for 2x as they would south of the border.

Looks like a front end from a '88 on there...front disc and cartridge forks.

good observation, I never noticed that.

seat also looks newer than 81, and the muffler I dont think is stock as it says "dr" on it, but most people wouldnt notice that or know better if you plan on selling it as is.