How to: Eddie's mod (pics)...

Had to take the carb off to deal with a sticking throttle, so I decided to take pics of exactly what to do. Now, I already did this mod, but it should help to see what needs to be done. I had a piece of copper house hold wire laying around, so that's what I used. You can really use anything. Safety wire would probably be best.

This is a 2000E.

Here's a side view. You can see the black arms at the bottom with the copper wiring.

590f6d2f.jpg

A close up of the arms wired together. If you look closely at the black plastic arm, you can see where I took my dremel and sanded a notch for the wire to sit in.

e9082b6e.jpg

Once you have wired the arms together, you need to take the AP (accelerator pump) cover off.

44b6cb43.jpg

Cover coming off, careful of the spring. Sucker is harder to find on your garage floor than you might think. Don't loose the O rings in the cover and at the base of the carb.

53062b7e.jpg

Diaphragm out. The shiny rivet in the center is what needs to be ground down. Mine is already done. Just take it down so it's flush with the base (it'll make sense when you have it in your hand). Make sure you don't rip the diaphragm when you slip with the dremel (I tried twice).

46e02e2a.jpg

Once you get it back together, you need to spread the metal fork that the black plastic arm is wired to. Open the throttle slowly, and see where the AP arm bottoms out. Then take a flat head screwdriver and pry the metal arms apart until you can reach WOT without bottom out the AP.

a51aab24.jpg

That's it! Very easy to do! Hardest part is by far is just getting the thing off the bike!

Steve

Edited by Steve91T
  • Like 1

Yeah sorry about that. I organized my photobucket album and it killed the links. Ill see if I can fix it tonight.

Steve

I'm working on fixing the links. Taking me forever because I'm out of town trying to do this from my Droid

What about the TT FCR MX? Is the O Ring mod the same as this? Also, my O rings keep cracking. Is there a better option?

Wire it. :thumbsup:

What about the TT FCR MX? Is the O Ring mod the same as this? Also, my O rings keep cracking. Is there a better option?[/quote

In hindsight I understand now. About a year and a half ago, I bought the TT Kit and fitted an o-ring. Well that lasted a month or two. O-ring broke. New O-ring. It broke. I got tired of this and safety wired the linkage together over a year ago with no problems. I recently bought a 2010 KTM 450 EXC and at the same time I picked up a JD kit for it. That kit comes with an o-ring for this purpose. The JD o-ring was the same size, but twice the diameter of the o-rings I had handy here, no wonder they kept breaking on me. Anyway, for anyone considering this, I'd say just wire it together and then you can forget it. No more riding out on the trail and developing a low rpm bog in the middle of a ride. Cheap peace of mind, just like the MCCT.

Hi everyone,

Is is OK to wire the FCR as shown earlier? (Eddie - care to chime in on this one?).

I was under the impression than an o-ring was used so the arm could continue to move. I've been changing o-rings 2-2 times a season (annoying) on my 2006 DRZ400E. If I can just wire it and forget it I'll do it.

RIding season hasn't started up here in Canada yet so I have the FCR on my workbench with a new o-ring on it. Please let me know.

-Josh