Sign in to follow this  

Purposely Disabling 2004 TTRLE

I have an annual boys weekend camping trip coming up Easter weekend, and I'm going to give my friends a contest/treasure hunt. I have about 10 "tests" for them to do and one of the tasks is going to be to fix a disabled TTR and ride it to the next clue/task. Now these guys are typical DIY guys and have been working on bikes for years, but I'm not going to have them re-assemble the top end to be able to ride it. Removing the spark plug would be too easy. I plan on leaving a few tools on a table next to the bike, and I want them to be able to fix it in less than 10 min. I also don't want them to start taking the bike apart too much.

Got any good ideas?

Loose ground wire, not at the battery, but at the chassis.

Lower the idle speed so it won't idle.

Is there a way to reverse the wires from the key switch so that OFF is on and ON is OFF?

A small ball bearing in the hose right where is goes into the carb spigot. = No fuel..... Make the fuel line long enough so that they can just cut the ball bearing inside of the hose off..... if they think to do that.......

Take the air cleaner off. Duct tape the hole from the air cleaner to carb boot. Trim excess duct tape away and put air filter back on to hold duct tape in place. You could put a small hole to let a little, just a little air in, but not enough to run over an idle...

There, how's that for a start? Or rather....no start !

Unplug the spark at the CDI.

I like this idea, or the loose ground wire. Something simple that could actually happen, not like the duct tape in the airbox.

That's sounds like a fun scavenger hunt though!

You can take a old spark plug for the LE and remove the side electrode to the base. Leave only the center tip.

I know it sounds simple but how about turning the Petcock to off. You never know, They might just forget about it.

What about about leaving the drain screw on the carb out and say that the last thing you have to do is fuel the bike. That way they might not know that the fuel is going straight out the bottom. It would use quite abit of fuel though so I wouldn't give them too much to waste unless they notice this.

Sorry if this is a pointless suggestion though.

Also, How does your bike start without the choke? If not very well, what about disconnecting the choke cable from the carb?

lots of great ideas... take lots of pictures and tell us all about the game. 👍 Sounds like a ton of fun! May have to consider something like this for a group gathering I go to.

Jam a super ball in the exhaust, I don't think the TT-R will produce enough back pressure to blow it out, but it might idle for a tiny while until it chokes. If it does blow it out, drill a 1/4" or so hole through the super ball so it can't blow it out but will run like crap.

The downside is this could toast your exhaust valve if they're persistent with a 1/4" diameter exhaust outlet.

loose wire on the cdi, i actually had that happen to me 15 mins into a trail ride. couldnt find it for the life of me (in the heat of the moment and all that) so pulled the pin and came home, but 5 mins when i got home and it was fixed 👍

You could go simple and drain the gas see if they see the obvious. or unplug the wire harness fairly easy to get to (behind the forks) and wouldnt need tools to fix.

If it is a stock ttr 125 just leave it in the garage for a week and it probably wont start without cleaning the carb. LOL

come to think of it, an easy to administer, easy to fix but damn difficult problem to figure out would be filling the carb bowl with kerosene or similar liquid, it won't burn in an ordinary gasoline engine and won't damage anything.

However, your friends may end up damaging the bike trying to find the problem, cause they'd probably take everything else apart before they'd realize how you pulled it off.

I really like the idea of just turning off the petcock. Leave an assortment of tools on the table next to the bike and tell them they must "get it running". DY mechanics will beat their brains out rying to figure it out until one of them finally thinks to turn on the gas.

It's a psych game.