Sign in to follow this  

Soft Brakes

I asked this question in the YZ250F section and got no response so I thought I would ask here.

When I squeeze my front brake lever, it grabs and then loses pressure and I roll forward again. Do I have air in the brake line? Do I need to bleed the brake fluid?

almost sure you have a bad master cylinder. rebuild kits a quite cheap and easy to install.

so when you pull the lever it has brake and the lever just keeps moving in until it hits the grip then no brake?

Also feel your brake line when you pull the lever and make sure there is no bulges or swelling you can feel. I once replaced a master cylinder. That didn't work so I changed the caliper. That didn't work. it was just a 45 dollar brake line. whoop's:doh:

How can I be sure? Or should I just rebuild it to be sure?

I squeeze the lever and the brake grabs and locks the wheel. Then the lever goes soft and then pulls back to the grip and I roll forward again.

How can I be sure? Or should I just rebuild it to be sure?

I added a bit to my lat post. But if you pull the brake and there is no fluid leaking from any where and brake line is good probably master cylinder.

you could buy a pressure gage that tells you master cylinder

pressure but they cost as much as a new master cylinder.

Is there a tutorial somewhere?

basically, you just remove the little perforated rubber piece in the bottom of the mc, pulls right out. then remove one circlip and the piston assembly comes out. insert new piston assembly, re-install circlip and rubber piece. bleed the system, good to go. takes about 10 minutes to do the rebuild. the bleeding can be arduous but the rebuild is super easy.