Sign in to follow this  

1975 XL 175 air filter question

I am restoring a 75 xl 175 as a favor to a friend and I am in need of a foam air filter for this bike. I would like to maintain the integrity of the bike so adding a filter to the end of the carb is not an option at this point. Honda says this item is discontinued and out of stock and Uni shows an application for it but it is incorrect. What are my options and does anyone have a source for a filter? Thanks in advance.

I have the cage for it and the foam filter is the one that Uni has and it is incorrect. I just spoke with them and, after I sent them pictures, they agreed that they don't offer one for that bike. The link you sent actually fits 76-??. Thanks for trying to help me find a solution.

Pick up one of THESE, cut it to fit, and make your own by wrapping it around the cage and using a couple of zipties to hold it in place.

i have a 75 xl175 with 800ish original miles..so i went through this as well..no biggie call up UNI and they will make you one...specify same circumfrance UNI filter as they did make which is wrong but ask them to go with a 4inch wide foam....they made mine which i went 3.50inch width which is just a tad too narrow.(it does stretch tight)...4.00inch width foam and you will be good to go..UNI will make this for you and no additional cost..good company and very very good product...K an N sucks...

When I talked with the guy from Uni he said a custom fab would cost about 100.00. I think you are saying to have them make a sort of generic filter that will slide over the cage but it will not be capped off on the end. I tried to put the one they sent me on and it was a very tight fitand I was not sure if they would want it back so I did not want to damage it. Turns out that they don't want it. Too much for shipping. They were very helpful and friendly.

i never capped the end of my filter...first off $100 is a joke and i would contact the president concerning this asnine cost..they made mine for FREE...now option 2 for you is go to your cycle shop and buy the uni foam and make your own....the foam is about $14 bux so its cheap...carefully measure and use hot melt glue to seal the seam...i know several guys who replace the filter after every race and do just this....but UNI charging you $100 is crap...i would adress this issue with them pronto...thats just crazy and they need to be informed the we as consumers will not stand to get ripped like this especially when it takes them about 5 minutes to make you a custom filter.....also you should also give UNI the dimesions of yhe air filter cage so they can make a correct air filter and i suspect they would appreciate that...god speed

i just emailed UNI..i will post there reply concerning this $100 custom fee

Best to watch ebay for a NOS one to come up and or make one from bulk filter foam and hot glue the seams.

I hink the bulk with hot glue would be the way to go. Uni is only about 45 mins. from me and it would be worth it to me to drive there if they could knock one out for me for cheap. I'd even return the one that they did not want back. It just seems like that they are so rare that thet probably don't show up on ebay very often.