Sign in to follow this  

oil change? feelin kinda dumb

can somebody tell me the step by step for doing a oil change on my 1990 xr600r,and mabey suggest some oils

thanks

Welcome to TT. I suggest you explore our forum's search feature for answers to both questions as they have been answered many times over. Oil threads are a running gag around here. 👍

1.) Search this (XR600/650) forum > Advanced Search:

2.)

60c1aba6.gif

I will add that it's a good idea to put half of the new oil in the frame reservoir and half into the engine through a valve access cap. The complete 2L+ fill won't fit into the frame all at once and you'll end up with a bunch of overflow on the bike and ground if you try. Also be sure to run the engine for a few minutes (preferably not stationary) before checking the oil level or it will appear lower than it really is.

I will add that it's a good idea to put half of the new oil in the frame reservoir and half into the engine through a valve access cap. The complete 2L+ fill won't fit into the frame all at once and you'll end up with a bunch of overflow on the bike and ground if you try.

Just did the overflow trick last oil change. I will try the 1/2 and 1/2 fill method. Thx headtrauma. 👍🤣

Pour oil through a valve access cap?---hmmm.I'm not arguing,but,what's wrong with the manuals suggestion--1/2 in,run bike for a moment or two,then add the rest?.:thinking:If your staying with conventional oil,how about Honda?---thinking about synthetic...Amsoil(motorcycle,not the automobile stuff!).

Pour oil through a valve access cap?---hmmm.I'm not arguing,but,what's wrong with the manuals suggestion--1/2 in,run bike for a moment or two,then add the rest?.:thinking:If your staying with conventional oil,how about Honda?---thinking about synthetic...Amsoil(motorcycle,not the automobile stuff!).

Prevents airlocking the pump:thumbsup:

I`m going to Amsoil......just be aware if the engine isn`t fresh and well sealed you can get leaks,oil usage..over dyno oil..

B

do the xr 600's use a gear oil aswell?

NO, there is no separation between the crankcase and trans........oil is supplied to both,,engne oil...

B

brianhare---thanx,didn't know that.My L only has 4500 miles on it,2007---I presume that's fresh?---right. Where's New Brunswick?.

great tip brianhare i work in an automotive shop and have seen this happen to people switching to syn oil,tends to break up the crud that might b sealing the engine,and in some cases destroy an old engine

brianhare---thanx,didn't know that.My L only has 4500 miles on it,2007---I presume that's fresh?---right. Where's New Brunswick?.

In Canada........up from Nova Scotia....👍

B

great tip brianhare i work in an automotive shop and have seen this happen to people switching to syn oil,tends to break up the crud that might b sealing the engine,and in some cases destroy an old engine

I`ve been an auto tech for over 25 years......if oil was regularily changed that should never happen...why someone with an old high mileage engine would spend the bucks on syn that late in life is a mystery to me....not worth it...

I think syn oil is great stuff,,and in an air cooled bike it`s a good idea,doesn`t go to crap at the high temps these motors see..

B

I`ve been an auto tech for over 25 years......if oil was regularily changed that should never happen...why someone with an old high mileage engine would spend the bucks on syn that late in life is a mystery to me....not worth it...

I think syn oil is great stuff,,and in an air cooled bike it`s a good idea,doesn`t go to crap at the high temps these motors see..

B

Never seen it break up stuff. but I have seen it turn a very small seep into a real leak. Slips right past the seals. Good stuff, but dont see a need to switch my truck, it has 166K miles. so i am sticking to Dino oil.