what camshaft do you recommend?

I will be changing my valve seals on my XRL and was thinking maybe a camshaft upgrade would be nice. I have a 41mm FCR-MX carb and de-snorkled and I have a powercore4 FMF pipe. I want low end torque mostly. I see a lot of stage1 cam for sale on ebay. Is that a good choice or what would you suggest?

Most aftermarket cams,including the Hotcams will not add to the bottom end,they help in the mid to high rpm range...one way to get some more grunt from the L is a high comp piston..........a cam added to that would make it really move........I`d go with a Hotcams as you can use the OE rockers,some aftermarket cams need hardface rockers..

The XR600R J.E. piston i put in mine definately made quite a noticeable difference,,it`s way to easy to pop the wheel from a stop sign now..i have to actually pay attention and leave slowly now...the addition of the NX650 second gear is another story too...if i pull away smartly then put her in second and give her a small amount of throttle the front wheel is airbourne again:lol:

A friend of mine told me a few miles into a little cruise that i`m one wheelin it at every stop...and i was gonna have a cop on me if i didn`t stop..i told my friend that i really wasn`t tryin.....👍 i know if i don`t watch myself i`m gonna go a$$ over teakettle.....

Oh,,,and i can lug this bugger in any gear with no spark knock...

B

An NX650 second gear narrows the gap between 1st and 2nd in a 650L. The 650L second gear ratio is 1.647 compared to the NX650's 1.750.

+1........on a tight trail i found you either had to rev the piss outta it in first or get it into second and go to fast........i go from first to second now with no big gap,,wasn`t sure it would make much difference,but it sure does:thumbsup:

B

The only bad thing about the hotcam and an xrl is the starter has to struggle because of no compression release. You may want to get your cam hard welded if you plan on adding anymore compression so you can keep the release mechanisms.

I just had a guy weld and grind me a new cam for my XRR from a old core I had laying around when I put a stage1 hotcam in my old XXR.

It's really a non issue on a XXR but I like the idea of the compression release.

But on a XRL it's a bigger issue because you have no kicker if your starter or battery takes a dump.👍

Edited by pwrpapa