Sign in to follow this  

California Baldy Mesa Ride Early April

Tell me about Baldy mesa! Is it truely the same as the marked area on "Where To Ride"? Can I just drive down the dirt road north on the east side of the 15 and unload after the second train crossing? Whats the deal with this area? PLEASE post a pic or something. There are lots of threads about people getting together to go there. But no ride reports that I saw in the search tool.

I need someone to show me around that area. KTM has been gnawing through it's leash... -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Looks like you all ready have it down. I wouldn't call this the "go to" place. Just a decent spot to blow off some steam and knock the cob webs off if you live close. Its mainly a big fire road with a few decent short trails that parallel (sp?) it. At the end there is a decent hill that can be a challenge on a worn rear tire if the dirt is dry (should be by now). BE VERY CAREFUL AND EXPECT THE WORST WHEN COMMING UP ON BLIND TURNS. I WAS TAKEN OUT BY A TARD THERE LAST MONTH. He was riding like he was on a one way race track! No broken bones, just some very expensive bike parts to replace.

BTW, this place can be a turkey farm on the weekends, be extra careful then!

NICE!!! Just what I was looking for, COBBWEBB removal!!! Actually, New to me bikes need to be "fully inspected" before a full 2 hour drive to the desert just for it to break in 2 miles. I would go to EL mirage for the same purposes but it is kind of expensive and the lakebed is closed for now.

Anyone have a map or a few pictures? Can I get an adventure pass at any of those GAS stations there? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Adventure pass is available at the gas stations. Map is on the SBNF web. seek and ye shall find.

So, I'm realizing this area can be explored by myself very easily on a weekday morning. Thanks for all your help. I'll post a thread when I'm registered... Green sticker!!! -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Where can I actually ride on this map? Can someone take the time to point out some DO NOT RIDE areas. Obviously the freeway is off limits but whats up with next to the tracks? Which is the main trail to the hillclimb? Any help is appreciated. I noted the STAGING AREA IN RED. and the train track crossings are obvious. Thanks!!! -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Baldy_Flats_Arial.jpg

Go north under the freeway X2. Right and then left up the hills to the power towers and left agin towards Mt. Baldy. Enjoy all you can, and note signs that say other.

Big Dan,

Its very hard to get lost there, no need for a map. If you keep left at every fork (just a couple) you will end your trip with a hill climb. If your open for an early or mid day start this comming Tuesday (30th) I'll be happy to join you and show you around the area, S/T.

Adventure pass is available at the gas stations. Map is on the SBNF web. seek and ye shall find.

Wow, Garry, sounds like you been there. Did someone show you guys the trail. There is only 1 main trail you know!👍

Wow, Garry, sounds like you been there. Did someone show you guys the trail. There is only 1 main trail you know!🙂

You already know, if FireroadFanatic wasn't already taken, that would have been my user name. :jawdrop: I hate anything smaller than my sideXside can get through. (Or is that my fat ass) :applause: I didn't spend all that fricken money on graphics and paint so I could screw it up in the bushes. (all show) :cheers: Give me a break already! :crazy: I trained my kids in them hills, not the ones you showed me, but the ones I knew.🤣 Hey, so I see you are taking off the foolish day, 👍 were we going? Got the Husky all greased up with new tires, last thing to do is check the valves Mon-Tue after work and I am ready for trial and ERROR. BTW, I am sure glad you had a plan that day. I think that jfgjr guy would have gotten us lost. JK Joe :crazy:

Hey SRAD97750,

If you go North on the 138 once you exit the 15 about 10 miles you can stage next to Mountain Top Cafe, it is at the intersection of 138 and Highway 2. If you want to meet for a morning weekday ride i can show you around. I work graveyard and get off at 730and would be able to meet you at 830.

I PMed you Snaggletooth and Pinion Hills! Hit me up. I'll ride everyday this week.... -BIG DAN:thumbsup: