Sign in to follow this  

Nevada DMV won't let me plate my XR650R

Hello all, I have a very big problem. About 5 years ago I bought my bike brand new and installed the Baja Designs kit. At the time I lived in Youngstown OH and the DMV allowed me to change my title from an off road one to an on road. All I had to do was fill out an affidavid which was basically a simple check list stating that my bike had turn signals, horn, mirrors, etc. Oh, and for those of you who have never been to Youngstown... well that was one wild place to ride! It was a simple process and it allowed me to plate my pig with the new title. About a year later I moved to Pittsburgh. PA had no problem with transfering my title over. Now PA unlike Ohio required motorcycles to have inspections. I rode their for almost 4 years without one. I never actually went to see if it would pass although I think it would have. It didn't matter, I was pulled over by Pittsburgh PD and surrounding burroughs for good reasons over a dozen times without receiving ANY citations! Well except for 2 careless drivings and 1 no inspection by the buster ass University of Pittsburgh police. Any way I now live in Las Vegas. The DMV has told me (I tried two of them) that since Honda claims it is for "offroad use only" they could not honor my PA title. I need some sort of federal safety sticker to be compliant. I think it is HORSESHIT! I called Honda and asked what made the XR not road worthy. Their response was the emissions. Now we all that the XR eats the road up and surely performs "mechanically" better than the XL, which is of course is hondas official 650 dual sport. So with that being said emmisions is the only issue....but wait, Nevada state law does not require motorcycles to have an emmision inspection. Do you see why I am calling HORSESHIT??? Charlie at the DMV kept telling me PA and Ohio made mistakes and should have never titled it. I was actually real calm and tried to be nice rather than argue because I did't have all the facts. He tried calling it unsafe and mentioned my tires along with engine... I just pointed to the D.O.T stamp on the sidewall... you know what he said? He then asked me what does that mean?? Now he brought the shit up so I have to think he felt a little stupid? He just showed me a printout from Honda stating that is was for offroard use only and was unsafe without the federal safety sticker. I am going to call Honda and bug the shit out of them and make them explain to me what is unsafe about my bike??? If they don't put something in writing about why they don't consider the Xr unsafe on blacktop with the proper tires I will never buy anything honda again. If they sell me a logical reason why the XR is unsafe or at least less safe than the XL with tires, lights, horn etc I will not start a nation wide Honda boycott 👍 They need to have my back on this and admit it is strickly an emissions issue as to why they label it "off road use only" if it is true. That will allow me to argue with Nevada since they do not require emission inspections for bikes. Then I can have them show me evidence as to why my bike is not road worthy compared to other bikes on the road. Charlie did give me his business card and said to keep in touch that a law change was in the works and could go in effect in as soon as three weeks. They said the same thing at the other DMV. I guess the ammendment will allow me to plate this thing although they mentioned it may not pass. I know people have plated the XR in Nevada.. Whats the secret?? Bribes??? Someone please help, cause I just love Urban Motocross!!! -Chris

Thanks for the link, if anyone reading this thinks our government needs another letter to help the cause let me know. I will be more than happy to inform Senator Hardy or whoever else is in charge and cares about his voters about why this is so important. Nevada is broke and they should be busting thier ass to generate revenue any way they can. I now understand the liability issue between Honda and NV. Going with whatever works for custum bikes should be the answer. Inspecting the bikes and making sure they are road worthy helps keep the rat bikes of the road. I just hope inspections don't wine about plastic gas tanks. Cars have 'em, why cant we?

Wait you want to use logic to solve this problem? 👍 Seriously thats not going to work🤣 Good luck it's sad NV has followed in Kali's footsteps. I hope it gets reversed.