Sign in to follow this  

Stock Sprockets not good enough!!

im riding a 2010 ktm 450 ecx and it just doesnt seem like it has the torque and the power it should, my dealer did tell me that it was geared more for top speed more then low end torque... which leads me to get a larger sprocket on the rear and smaller in the front.. it currently has a 15/45 tooth sprockets on it and i was wondering if you could give me your opinion on which sprocket size i should move to.. 13/50 or 48 or maybe a 14/50 or 48.. ill be mainly riding bush trails tight to wide open and lots of sand pits, road minimal... any suggestions would be appreciated.

im riding a 2010 ktm 450 ecx and it just doesnt seem like it has the torque and the power it should, my dealer did tell me that it was geared more for top speed more then low end torque... which leads me to get a larger sprocket on the rear and smaller in the front.. it currently has a 15/45 tooth sprockets on it and i was wondering if you could give me your opinion on which sprocket size i should move to.. 13/50 or 48 or maybe a 14/50 or 48.. ill be mainly riding bush trails tight to wide open and lots of sand pits, road minimal... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Your dealer is right. the 15/45 is for street use and has more to do with emission control than any practical reasons. 14/50 or 14/52 would work well for you depending on how large you are. Smaller go 14/50, larger 14/52. Have fun you have a great bike. Oh and either way stand by for some serious power. Not sure if you have any of the smog stuff on the bike in Canada but if so you will need to address that and re-jet. Have fun. RB

i prefer the 13/48 for 2 reasons. 1-the chain stays the same length which is nice to not have to dick with a chain breaker.

2-it drops the gearing quite a bit and really added alot of pop to the throttle response and still kept enough top speed for quick freeway juants or high speed open desert tears.

it is perfect gearing for us in cali.

i dont know what all types of riding you do in ontario canuckville {hehe} but if you only have tight mountain trails and single track then you might want to go 13/50 and take out a link. but if you do any on road and open stuff i think 13/48 is about perfect.

some guys have tried a 12t front and liked it but i also have heard of alot of wear problems on the front of the swingarm and chain slider with wear.

jmho

FYI 14/52 and 13/48 are virtually identical gearing. If 13/48 allows you to not have to change chain links go for it. A 12 front wears out the chain most of all, it is too small in diameter and caused the chain to wear very quickly in addition to all the other problems mentioned by Mac. Have fun. RB

yeah rick that is why i run 13/48 and i would never run a 12. i already get a bit of extra wear on the rear chain guide with the 48 even with the guide offset flipped and the guide pushed to the front mounting position so i think it would possible increase with a 52. 14/52 is very close to 13/48, just a tick lower. either one will work great.

great minds think alike.... i know i dont fit into that "great minds" group though 👍

My EXC 530 came with a flimsy chain and 15/45 sprockets. On the break in service, the dealer removed all that restricter stuff (stuffed up exhaust, blocked up airbox, cable choke, super lean tiny jet) This is Euro spec I think. Anyways, all that came off and an O ring chain and 14/52 sprockets went on. Since I ride desert I wouldn't mind the tall gearing (I have 15/45 on my CRF450 and a paddle, but I find the bike easy to ride with this 14/52 gearing.

thanks for the info on sprockets guys, didnt think i would get this many opinions..but i found it all very helpful.. but whatever i do up here in "canuckville" haha im sure ill have a good time ehh.

I just bought a 2010 450 EXC and found the stock gearing was completely worthless for the type of riding I do. I first went to a 14T front with a 48T Ironman rear. This was better, but still too tall for me, so I installed a 13T front and it's better. I'm gonna ride it a little while to see what I really think. If it's still to tall I'm gonna try a 52T rear ( where I can run either the 13T or 14T front). The only downside to the 52T rear is the need for a longer chain...and the cost of another Ironman sprocket. These EXC's have an extremely tall internal final drive ratio.

i have 13 -52 and the first gear is still to high mabye 12-52 is better

13/50 in the Northeast. 1st is a granny, 2nd for most single track & the gap from 1-2-3 isn't as big as 14/50. 14/50 I was in 1st too long, revving too much & 2nd was a big step for trails.