2009 WR250R Ignition Cover Problems (Pics)

I am working on a friend's bike, and am replacing the ignition side cover after the bike was crashed and a hole was put in the ignition cover. My problem is this. In the NEW cover there is a missing "race". This race needs to be there for the gear pin to seat tightly in the center hole. In the OLD cover, the race seems to be pressed in with no obvious way of easily removing it to put into the NEW cover. Pics will tell better than I can put into words.

First pic:

This is the NEW cover with NO race in the small center hole.

WR250Rsidecase001.jpg

Here is the 2nd pic:

This is the OLD cover with the small race IN the center hole.

WR250Rsidecase002.jpg

3rd pic:

This is the gear and pin that sits in the center hole of the case cover.

WR250Rsidecase003.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to get this "race" out so I can re-use it in the NEW cover? I tried searching a microfiche to see if I could just order a new one, but they do not even list that part on the microfiche. Did I get a non-completed side cover? Any thought?

I had to replace the rightside inner part on my old WR250 ( the kickstarter shaft snapped off and cracked that part of the cover when it happened.

From what I remember there was something simular to what your dealing with that I had to deal with, some kind of bushing or bearing that I needed to get out of the old part to put in the new one, I think it had something to do with the water pump.

Anyway, since the old part was going to the trashcan anyway, I broke out my dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut into the old cover to get the part I needed out.

Yea, I am thinking that is a last resort way for me to get to that little bushing in there. Anyone have any other ideas?

How big is the hole in the damaged case? Is it weldable?

Try freezing the whole part, the steel race will get colder because it has higher density. It should pry out. You could even make a special pry tool.

Use a sht screw driver heat it up red hot and bend it 1/2" from top. Give it a 45 dagree bend. Hope it doesn't turn into a huge pain in the ars.👍

How big is the hole in the damaged case? Is it weldable?

Try freezing the whole part, the steel race will get colder because it has higher density. It should pry out. You could even make a special pry tool.

Use a sht screw driver heat it up red hot and bend it 1/2" from top. Give it a 45 dagree bend. Hope it doesn't turn into a huge pain in the ars.👍

Good thought. The steel bushing should retain more "cold" as opposed to the aluminum cover. I may just have to try that. But either way, I can definitely foresee this stupid little bushing ruining my weekend. Damn OEM parts!

Problem solved for anyone who may be having the same issue. All I had to do was heat up the OLD cover where that little bushing sat, and then smack the outside of the cover and the bushing came sliding out very easily.

Good, glad to hear