Sign in to follow this  

Nevada DMV won't let me plate my XR650R

Hello all, I have a very big problem. About 5 years ago I bought my bike brand new and installed the Baja Designs kit. At the time I lived in Youngstown OH and the DMV allowed me to change my title from an off road one to an on road. All I had to do was fill out an affidavid which was basically a simple check list stating that my bike had turn signals, horn, mirrors, etc. Oh, and for those of you who have never been to Youngstown... well that was one wild place to ride! It was a simple process and it allowed me to plate my pig with the new title. About a year later I moved to Pittsburgh. PA had no problem with transfering my title over. Now PA unlike Ohio required motorcycles to have inspections. I rode their for almost 4 years without one. I never actually went to see if it would pass although I think it would have. It didn't matter, I was pulled over by Pittsburgh PD and surrounding burroughs for good reasons over a dozen times without receiving ANY citations! Well except for 2 careless drivings and 1 no inspection by the buster ass University of Pittsburgh police. Any way I now live in Las Vegas. The DMV has told me (I tried two of them) that since Honda claims it is for "offroad use only" they could not honor my PA title. I need some sort of federal safety sticker to be compliant. I think it is HORSESHIT! I called Honda and asked what made the XR not road worthy. Their response was the emissions. Now we all that the XR eats the road up and surely performs "mechanically" better than the XL, which is of course is hondas official 650 dual sport. So with that being said emmisions is the only issue....but wait, Nevada state law does not require motorcycles to have an emmision inspection. Do you see why I am calling HORSESHIT??? Charlie at the DMV kept telling me PA and Ohio made mistakes and should have never titled it. I was actually real calm and tried to be nice rather than argue because I did't have all the facts. He tried calling it unsafe and mentioned my tires along with engine... I just pointed to the D.O.T stamp on the sidewall... you know what he said? He then asked me what does that mean?? Now he brought the shit up so I have to think he felt a little stupid? He just showed me a printout from Honda stating that is was for offroard use only and was unsafe without the federal safety sticker. I am going to call Honda and bug the shit out of them and make them explain to me what is unsafe about my bike??? If they don't put something in writing about why they don't consider the Xr unsafe on blacktop with the proper tires I will never buy anything honda again. If they sell me a logical reason why the XR is unsafe or at least less safe than the XL with tires, lights, horn etc I will not start a nation wide Honda boycott 😉 They need to have my back on this and admit it is strickly an emissions issue as to why they label it "off road use only" if it is true. That will allow me to argue with Nevada since they do not require emission inspections for bikes. Then I can have them show me evidence as to why my bike is not road worthy compared to other bikes on the road. Charlie did give me his business card and said to keep in touch that a law change was in the works and could go in effect in as soon as three weeks. They said the same thing at the other DMV. I guess the ammendment will allow me to plate this thing although they mentioned it may not pass. I know people have plated the XR in Nevada.. Whats the secret?? Bribes??? Someone please help, cause I just love Urban Motocross!!! -Chris

Do you have a current PA license plate on it now? If so, you should be able to use the PA title and transfer it to NV. Barring that, renew the PA tag, via mail, and keep riding it that way.

unfortunately my Pa tags expired in Febuary. I have a PA title but they wont accept it. I have been a NV resident since September of last year. Back in October I had a compression problem and the bike wouldn't start. I ended up letting it sit until a month ago. I rebuilt the top end and just got it all back together (It runs great by the way). So thats why I took so long to mess with registration...plus I never thought I would have a problem out here in Sin Sity! I could get an Arizona residency and plate it their since their border is the closest who may allow plating it although I haven't confirmed this. I just don't feel like doing that if I have alternitaves. Who has an XR plated in Nevada with a NV home address???

I hate to be a prick, but... you bought a dirt bike. The bike never passed DOT standards when it was sold brand new. Why would you expect Honda to hang their backside out and call it anything other than what it is? They never marketed the bike (in the US) as anything other than a dirt bike.

Sorry for piddling in your oatmeal, but you are trying to color outside the lines and got caught. Don't get me wrong, I have riden a number of dirt bikes on the street over the years, but always understood that it was a sketchy situation that could evaporate at the stroke of a pen.

Sorry again if I am being a prick... 👍

ThumpnRed, maybe I'm being a prick not you? Maybe bad decisions and poorly wriiten laws are to blame? How would Honda be sticking their neck out by saying the only reason they deem the xr off road only is due to emissions? A fact is a fact unless there are other issues. Of couse you cannot ride it right out of the box on the road.... any moron with an IQ over 27 could understand that. The tires dont cut it and you would be killed at night. Nevda does not test for emissions. Actully this is a moot point from what I have been reading since the likelyhood of an ammendment is high. And... are you in someway affiliated with government? Your pen weilding buddies in government well... all they need is a little encourgement from enough people with the same intersts to bust their balls. I wonder if there was a huge lawsuit somewhere that sparked this whole thing or was there some attorney that noticed the potential for one? If the DMV really wants us on the road they should explain the problem to newbies at their inspection stations who are unaware. Instead they just blame Honda and piss people off. Having the rider sign a statement assuming all resposibility is strange. I have never had to do that with any vehicle in my life. How many people have worked on cars and have worried if they didn't tighten a lug nut all the way would they be sued? NONE....Thats what insureance is for, accidents happen! If I have to sign a sue me slip so ****ING BE IT if it means I can ride in the Metro!

ThumpnRed, maybe I'm being a prick not you? Maybe bad decisions and poorly wriiten laws are to blame? How would Honda be sticking their neck out by saying the only reason they deem the xr off road only is due to emissions? A fact is a fact unless there are other issues. Of couse you cannot ride it right out of the box on the road.... any moron with an IQ over 27 could understand that. The tires dont cut it and you would be killed at night. Nevda does not test for emissions. Actully this is a moot point from what I have been reading since the likelyhood of an ammendment is high. And... are you in someway affiliated with government? Your pen weilding buddies in government well... all they need is a little encourgement from enough people with the same intersts to bust their balls. I wonder if there was a huge lawsuit somewhere that sparked this whole thing or was there some attorney that noticed the potential for one? If the DMV really wants us on the road they should explain the problem to newbies at their inspection stations who are unaware. Instead they just blame Honda and piss people off. Having the rider sign a statement assuming all resposibility is strange. I have never had to do that with any vehicle in my life. How many people have worked on cars and have worried if they didn't tighten a lug nut all the way would they be sued? NONE....Thats what insureance is for, accidents happen! If I have to sign a sue me slip so ****ING BE IT if it means I can ride in the Metro!

I sure as heck hope your attitude with the Nevada DMV is a whole lot better then the way your posts read or my guess is you would be extremely fortunate to take a XR650L into the DMV and walk out with a license plate the way your posts are coming off.

And threatening to never buy a Honda again if they don't come running to your side to license a bike that they never intended to be a licensed motorcycle is about as big of a joke.

Have a beer and relax man......👍

Wasted my breath on a multi-post. Congrats to the NV people for getting some logic into the system. I wish CA would follow suit, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Enjoy the ride.

I guess the lawers have everyone running scared at the DMV.....again.

It's still real easy,SO FAR..to get a R plated here in I DE HOE.

It's a matter of where do they draw the line?

Honda won't do anything for you as you purchased on off road only motorcycle from them. If you ask them what is unsafe about the XRR on the road I think their answer would be simple.

As a dirt bike:

The US XRR headlight and tail light are only on while the bike is running.

The US XRR does not come from the factory with turn signals.

The US XRR does not come from the factory with a horn.

The US XRR does not come from the factory with DOT tires.

Add to the fact that the XRR is no longer made and there's absolutely nothing about your problem that has to do with Honda.

Anything done to the bike to make it street legal with proper lighting, horn, and indicators is done after the purchase and Honda would not be liable for it. I don't see why you'd even think Honda has some responsibility to explain why they built a dirt bike that wasn't meant for legal highway use. Might as well ask them why the 450x isn't road worthy...

Because I'm in CA I had to find one that was already plated under previous laws and even then I go through AAA rather than the DMV for all my registration paperwork. The title is the same as my street bike, so I'm not too concerned.

If I were to pick up a non-plated XRR I know it would be difficult to impossible to get it plated here.

It's a great bike and I wish you the best in getting it registered in NV. Try other DMV's or maybe AAA if they're out there and you're a member. 👍

AAA does that kind of work?? wow,that's interesting.🤣

Didn't mean to pick a fight... I just get frustrated by folks enter into something knowing the rules and then want the rules to change to suit them. Then cry foul when the rules stay the same and are applied to them.

Am I invovled in government? Yes I am as a matter of fact, but nothing to do with DMV. I am invovled in writting, interpreting and enforcing laws and rules though, so your situation is very similar to issues that I regularly deal with.

I genuinely hope that your situation works out... but realize that if it doesn't, you're trying to plate a dirt bike.

Best of luck and keep it rollin:ride:

Just to clarify. What Chris did in Ohio is legal and the procedure is spelled out on the DMV web site. He went by the rules for Ohio and did not color outside the lines. I'm suprised people are so tough on a new guy on a forum where half the members seem to have plated R's!

I'm not getting down on the guy for trying to get it plated; hell I'm on his side! I love the R and as a plated bike it is the ultimate ride in my opinion. I'm not sure who the Ohio guy is, but glad to hear he's plated too.

My response is based off of being a manufacturer. I don't see why the NV guy has anything against Honda. Not going to buy another Honda because they might not send him a sticker? It's not Honda's intent to have the R plated, so why even bother getting angry at them.

Looks like they can use the custom build application in NV, so he should get a plate no problem. Like I said, I wish CA would be more open to plating bikes. We do have a custom build title, but only a handful are issued at the start of certain months and even then the plate isn't guaranteed.