Ugh, rookie mistake !!

I've installed more chains on more bikes than I care to remember, yet I still managed to cut one too short 👍. I bought a 520x120 X-Ring chain for my 05 YZ 250 and got it cut to the size I usually use at 116 links. My chain adjusters were more than 3/4 out so I got greedy and thought I could cut one more link and still have enough room. I have my adjusters all the way in and I can't slide the wheel any further back and I'm still a good 1/8" short. I proceeded to have a small mental melt-down in the garage .

Anyone want a great deal on a brand new 520x114 X-Ring chain?

How reliable is using 2 master links? I'm the utmost perfectionist and using two master links would drive me bonkers knowing the chain isn't perfect :crazy:.

🤣:foul:🙂:foul::applause::foul::jawdrop::foul::cheers:

What gearing are you running? I am running 14-51 and running 114 links.

That's exactly what I'm running, but my wheel won't go any further back because the sprocket is hitting the back of the chain guide. I'm about 1/8" from getting the masterlink connected, but I can't see it happening.

maybe run 2 master links and when (or if) the chain gets more wear you can have just enough pull to run 1 master link. I have the same thing with perfectionist crap..it helps being cautious at first but it always seems to bite me in the @$$ when I mistakenly overlook the smallest things. takes all the fun out of everything!

Dont feel bad, I believe I might know someone who has done this before......Check out the Pro Circuit axle blocks. They are very thin and will slide forward more than the stock blocks....if cheaper than a new chain. Because I know running two master links would drive me nuts.....no reason, other than it would.

maybe run 2 master links and when (or if) the chain gets more wear you can have just enough pull to run 1 master link. I have the same thing with perfectionist crap..it helps being cautious at first but it always seems to bite me in the @$$ when I mistakenly overlook the smallest things. takes all the fun out of everything!

That plan won't work, as you need to break the chain again to run two links. I say break out the grinder on your chain guide. You shouldn't have to take much off, less than an 1/8" it sounds like.