Sign in to follow this  

wth do i do now?(valve adjustment question!!!)

hey guy i just picked me up this 94 dr350se yesterday it runs

i am currently in my shed right now kinda dumb founded..

i go to TDC and pop off my little valve covers to do my adjustments

and well there is like no play what so ever in the valves..when i mean no play i mean i cant even get my feeler guages in it... should i leave them be or should i loosing them up a tad bit?

could this possiably hurt the bike if they are this tight??

heres a little history on the bike too i knew the owner he rode with me alot when i had both of my old dr350's

he said he hasnt done a valve adjustment on it since october and only rode it maybe 40 times short distances..

now the funny thing is i did his valve adjustment for him and i do recall the valves being kinda tight but i was able to get my feeler guage in and out of there.. sooo im just kinda stumped on why they are this tight?

any ideas

loosen them up to factory specs.

I have heard the exhuast is alright to have a litte bit more on the tighter side of things. i hear tight valves make noise.

Sure you have the correct TDC? Loose valves make noise.

yeah the T is right in the middle i also checked it with the line in the middle too...which one is it suppose to be??????

yeah it was making a little bit of noise but not bad but im picky and i hate wierd noises...

im going to work on it tomm.. some more..

im suppose to get my new tires put on tomm too so i hope i can figure it out..

just to make sure the exhaust valves are the ones in the front right??????

2 TDC's????? i read your thread you listed i still dont get it?

to make it even worse i couldnt get my cap off my crankcase its stripped out so i pulled off my crankcase cover to set the TDC its a real pain in the azz but it works..

im waiting for a nipple extractor set to come in in order to make that process easier since the dang thing is stripped out...

so if i cant figure this out by at least next wed. im prolly just going to take it to a shop and have them deal with it.. i prefer not too since im now tight on money.. i traded my car for a dr and a parts dr and i got a totalled dr too lol im a mess

Too loose is waayyy better than a little too tight. Solid (non hydraulic) valve trains are supposed to make a little noise anyway. There's nothing wrong with a little ticking coming from the head especially when it's cold. If those valves aren't closing all the way, combustion gasses are seeping around them. This results in burned valves, lost compression, lost horsepower and torque, and poor idle characteristics.

barko means TDC on the compression stoke. There's a bit of overlap to the cam lobes so that if you're up on TDC on the exhaust/intake stroke there'll be some pressure on the valves making it impossible to get a feeler gauge in there. It's pretty easy to tell if your coming up on TDCC with that big ole jug.

PS: i know what you mean about stripped out casing...

Well I'm new to this website so it looks like I'll have to figger out how to post pics. I was going to show you what I had to do to get my crankshaft bolt plug out. I couldn't believe how stuck that sucker was!

Hope this helps:D

A 4-stroke engine rotates through TDC at the top of the exhaust stroke and at the top of the compression stroke. The valve lash is set on the latter.

PS: i know what you mean about stripped out casing...

Well I'm new to this website so it looks like I'll have to figger out how to post pics. I was going to show you what I had to do to get my crankshaft bolt plug out. I couldn't believe how stuck that sucker was!

Hope this helps:D

ok so i think i got it figured out today, i went on a 95 mile stress test and it did great. im so happy to be on a bike again.. and lol yeah that crankshaft bolt plug thing is crazy screwed up lol its un godly tight i ordered me a nippe extractor set last night and a new plug /seal so when i do get it off i can replace it with a new one lol