Advice on removing tires from rim.

I got my new set of tires but I am just not able to get the Trail Wings off. I have changed dirt bike tires before but not Dual Sport. These things must be harder then standard dirt bike tires.

First off does anyone have the old magic tool that they would like to share. I have the old standard tire irons and they don't seem to be cutting it. I feel like I am damaging the rims trying to pull the tire over the rim.

Second does anyone know if a tire shop can get the tires off and how much they should charge for 2 off and 2 on.

I know total noob question! But I have to ask it. I really don't feel like getting new rims yet.

you can use a large c clamp or vise to break the bead of the tire, once the bead has been broken the tires should come off easily, in all actuallity only the most stubburn tires (car tires included) need an actual tire machine to remove, its breaking the bead that requires the most effort!

I just used muscle.....but if you can block up the axle on the missing rim.... You can also use the side stand on top of the tire.....push on the bike with your body to dislocate the tire from the bead...... Or call your neighbor...offer beer....after him and you stand in the tire......?:thumbsup:

Erling

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorcycle+tire+removal&search_type=&aq=7

1. remove the valve stem....no air in the tube

2. break both beads

3. protect the disk side and kneel on the tire to keep it in the deepest part of the rim

4. start on the opposite site with tire irons and lots and lots of lube...soapy water, wd40, windex, ky jelly, etc.

5. use the tire irons to remove one side of the tire, pull out the tube, and remove the other side of tire.............hopefully

6. some tubed tires are a bitch.....I just changed a rear tire on a friend's KTM 450 rear wheel.........the tire was old and very hard....dried out after three years + he had a heavy duty tube which takes up room inside the tire...tough, but it came off with a lot of effort.

7. walk away if you can't get it off in a reasonable time....sit the tire/wheel combo out in the sun to warm up the tire/soften it up.

if the tires are finished any way, why not just cut them off? can you raise up one bead just enough to use something like tin snips? i've taken car tires off that way, and yes it was quite a battle.

your insane! i cannot tell you how many times i have actually seen people that tried this and finally gave up and paid the 10 dollars for me to dismount the tire! you need to pick your battles... ?

7. walk away if you can't get it off in a reasonable time....sit the tire/wheel combo out in the sun to warm up the tire/soften it up.

The sun is your friend!!! Heat that sucker up and you'll be good. When I was mounting my tire last week I couldn't get the bead to sit evenly. It was 30 degrees outside and the tire was stiff and cold. Left it in the sun and it popped right on. I like using windex to lube the bead up before attempting to seat it. Have fun!

all good tips but you need to see the doug schopinsky video on tire changing.he's got the right technique down.it helps to have some kind of stand to hold the wheel if you have an sm but dirt tires are far easier.harbor freight or northern hydraulics sell a nifty manual motorcycle tire changer for around 50 bucks that does the job really well.

I have a tire machine.

Works well

I can't even imagine someone actually trying to cut a tire off a rim....

Remove the valve stem. break both beads. Sometimes you can use a c clamp to compress the tire on the opposite side you are levering from. You need the bead to be in the center of the rim. Lots of lube.

Dick Burlson used to change tires in the ISDT in under a minute. He'd stomp them off the rim. No kidding.

You have loosened off the rim locks right?! if you have you must be doing something wrong, they come off easily. Break the bead into the well on both sides, kneel on the tyre to keep it there. Three levers in about 2in apart and flip them one at a time, the middle one will come out and use that to work your way around a little at a time.

We stomp them on, never seen them stomped off!!

Works for me!

Dan

Thanks Everyone. I got it. The problem was my irons. They just were not working for these Tires. I got a nice set of Moose round edge and a bead budy and they came off. I also had a coach that has done this a million times telling me not to be a wussy and use some muscle and that the rims will be able to take it. I got the tires done and will hopefully be out riding tomorrow.

Now I just need the torque spec for the axle nuts and bolts front and back and the front axle clamp bolts? ANYONE GOT THEM! You all are the best!

• 2 weeks later...
your insane! i cannot tell you how many times i have actually seen people that tried this and finally gave up and paid the 10 dollars for me to dismount the tire! you need to pick your battles... ?

lol, working on cars often requires determination. that was a decade ago and i do not remember why i needed to remove the tires. you get old, you forget.

• 2 months later...

Hi Use a large workshop vice to pinch the tyre together and break the beads,slide some protection over the rim like a bit of cable outer covering or thick rubber,then use tyre irons or spanners to lift one side over the rim,remove tube,then lever off other edge, good luck