Sign in to follow this  

Crf250x

Hey everyone i have an 2006 crf250x and i was just wondering if it is a good bike for trails. Also i was wondering if a 2 stroke is better for trails. I thought that 4 strokes were better for trails but i not really sure. Thanks in advance.

Well, that is what the CRF X line is made for. Have you ever ridden a 2 stroke? For a lot of people, they prefer 2 strokes in the trails. They are lighter, have more power, easier to start if you crash or stall it, and the overall maintenance can be a little cheaper and easier to do yourself. You have to know how to ride a 2 stroke for it to really be beneficial, can take a lot of clutch and throttle control. Getting a 4 stroke is not a bad thing, especially in trails if you are learning the ropes, and they are overall easier to ride on the trails.

2 stroke or 4 stroke is really just a personal preference type of thing. Ride what you got until you want to try something different.

Some of the earlier CRF250X bikes had some valve wear issues. But for the most part, I've heard good things about them.

Personally, I'm a lover of 2 strokes in the woods. Had 4 strokes, but just never jelled with any of them. I love the snap, the light weight, ease of maintainence, just everything about a 2 stroke.

But, like KcDavis said, you'll have to try both and decide what's for you.

All part of the fun.👍

Your 250X is just fine for the woods. The only thing that might make it outstanding in getting the suspension done for your wieght and style, and find a set of 22mm offset triple clamps from an 08 and newer R or X. It'll make it turn like a champion. E-start will come in very handy in the trails, stick with your X.

a 4-stroke like your CRF250X is usually easier to ride if you are not as accomplished of rider. 2-strokes are lighter and can handle better but are not NEARLY as forgiving when it comes to being in (or not in) the right gear for the obstacle as a 4-stroke is.

Actually, if you do not know the difference, you probably would be better off starting on something like an XR250 that is EXTREMELY easy to ride and forgiving and working up to a new style 4-stroke or a 2-stroke.

Also, the non-race style 4-strokes (like the XR, TTR, DR) bikes are MUCH cheaper to maintain and fix than the newer style (like the CRF).