Sign in to follow this  

xr650r swing arm "need help"

does anyone have an 2oo1 xr650r swing arm they would like to get rid of. never really questioned why mine had a big nut where one of the adjusters was suposed to go untill i went to tighten the chain. i just figured the threads were stripped, nope bold broken off with what appears to be an easy out broken off inside of it. to make it flush it appears the person mig welded and grinded it untill it was smooth also. this sucks.....

any help finding one would be awsome. would like to take it to the desert 100 but this is standing in my way.

thanks

Dallas

I had the same thing happen to a customers 650R and it does suck. The reason it happened on that bike was that one of the clamps for the hydralic hose to the rear caliper was missing. So everytime the bike got wet water went inside the swing arm and had no way to get out. This caused all kinds of nasty corrotion. It waisted the swing arm bearings also.

One way to fix your swing arm is take it to a welding shop and have them blow out the broken drill or what ever's in there with a plasma torch. It only takes a second and you'd be left with a hole you could then drill out and heli-coil.

This is a common problem with the XRR, you need to drill a hole in the bottom of the arm to let the water out.

If your real carefull you can drill and tap a hole just above the other one. I have done this on other bikes. The xr is a little tighter area so it's got to be just right,but it's worth a shot..

Are you near the Olympia area? I have a drill press big enough to get the swing arm in and we could drill and tap it to the next size.

yeah i am near olympia. i found one on ebay for cheep but im going to see if i can blow it out with the plasma cutter and then reweld grind flush, drill and tap.i work at a steel mill so i should be able to put it in our drill press. its the size of a house.

so drilling a hole in the bottom with be enough to let the water out. perfect. will do after its fixed.