690 confusion

Im a little confused on the diffrences between the 690enduro and the 690 enduro R.

Suspension seems a little diffrent on the R. Possibly more dirt oriented. Frame shows a bit, looks cooler.

But thats all i can notice, other then the windscreen fits only on the enduro, not the R.

What else is there?

What are there approx prices?

The engine looks like its suppose to be better on the R, but i can't tell any diffrence on the spec sheet.

From what I am told only the enduro R is sold in the US. Pics on the KTM website are close but not exact to what is available on the street. Only major difference I see is the tail light position but there may be more.

As to answer your question for the deltas between the two models, is the R is an inch taller. Motor, suspension travel, etc are exactly the same according to the spec sheet. Another difference is the instrument cluster. The R doesn't have a tach. The cluster for the R is a clock, trip meter, odometer and digital speed readout. Kinda nice.

As for the price, got mine for 10,500 out the door. Your success may vary upon your location.

Looks like he said only the R is sold in the US, not the other way around... ?

Correct.

Height isnt a issue. So either bike is good there -

I dont like the R's instrument cluster or whatever you want to call it.

I need a tach.

I do like the look of the R tho, just needs the other ones instruments.

This all makes decision making so hard.?

The instruments aren't that bad on the R. I tend not to look at it all that much anyway. Once you are used to it and can pretty much tell about what your RPM is there really isn't much need for the tach and it is all feel from there.

The instruments aren't that bad on the R. I tend not to look at it all that much anyway. Once you are used to it and can pretty much tell about what your RPM is there really isn't much need for the tach and it is all feel from there.

Well thing is, im in a odd position.

I have been into atv's more , and i love blasting thru the trails/fireroads.

So thats kind of why i like the dual sports. (that and upright seating, im not into superbikes)

The other use for the bike tho, is it HAS to be able to do the highway(and i dont want to be sitting at the redline in the last gear),and be a commuter around town between weekends.(2 up for a bit is prolly necessary also) And blasting around the long twisty 45mph roads around here would be great. TBH i think in this situation id almost be better with a supermoto.

But i can't afford nor make good enough reasons to jump into owning two bikes.

I initially was going to purchase last fall, but pushed it towards this spring.

I need a do it all bike.

Price is a issue, but if something was IDEAL i suppose i could push it. Would be buying new matching gear to update and match bike.

A working instrument panel would help greatly for the onroad riding.

Really i wish i could just get the regular enduro probably.

So anyhow what i have been looking at is:

KTM 690R ( god why cant the normal enduro be there)

Husky 610(or 630 if they ever come out) bike is cheaper, but id need to buy a few things for it off the bat.

BMW F800GS Bike seems great, other then possibly worried about it being a bit to slow, and not fitting my riding style thru trailroads.

KTM 990Adventure R - Decent bike, seems like it MIGHT fit what im looking for. Kind of just above my price range. (Where o where is the 690adventure 'NOT A SERIOUS QUESTION,not opening that can o worms')

KTM 690SMC Seems like itd be great for road, not so offroad :(even tho im sure i could ride in on the road's just not haul on them.

KTM 990SMT Seems great for the highway/road stuff,absolutely not for the offroad. Above price point a little.

I'm going to drive myself nuts.?

You may be able to order the enduro instrument cluster with the tach and install it or, put an aftermarket on.

As for two up.... Take your pillion rider in to the showroom and see how they like it first. THe 690 seat isn't all that confortable. KTM does make a comfort model and there are aftermarkets available as well.

There seems to be plenty of power for the bike, I wouldn't worry about running out of rpm's. There is a rev limiter on the bike and as stated, you do get the feel for it pretty quick as to when you are getting to the top of the power band.

The big bikes handle like slugs off road. There is no way around it, 500 lbs in the dirt and on the trail just isn't easy to handle. Just got rid of a R1200GS for that very reason.

You may be able to order the enduro instrument cluster with the tach and install it or, put an aftermarket on.

As for two up.... Take your pillion rider in to the showroom and see how they like it first. THe 690 seat isn't all that confortable. KTM does make a comfort model and there are aftermarkets available as well.

There seems to be plenty of power for the bike, I wouldn't worry about running out of rpm's. There is a rev limiter on the bike and as stated, you do get the feel for it pretty quick as to when you are getting to the top of the power band.

The big bikes handle like slugs off road. There is no way around it, 500 lbs in the dirt and on the trail just isn't easy to handle. Just got rid of a R1200GS for that very reason.

Yeah seat looks to be nonissue. So many options always available to make yourself more comfortable.

I am currently looking all over to find a enduro instrument cluster, wether or not it can even be installed is a diffrent matter.

Posted up on another board about swapping out the instruments. The primary sage of the bike didn't know if it was possible but was willing to swap his enduro cluster for an R speedo.

What is not known is if KTM uses one wire harness for these bikes and just plugs/terms the ends of the not used connectors like auto makers do.

You will be the pioneer for this.

Either way, wouldn't let a little thing like and instrument cluster keep you back from buying such and awesome bike. You really can get the feel for her quick when she starts to get to the top of the powerband, flattens right out and falls on its face when it gets to the rev limiter. You can always get an aftermarket tach. Seen a few people do that with converted WR's.