ate it hard,,,

ktms are not meant for wide open deserts, unless they have a steering stabilizer. yesterday i was at 80 kph and the front wheel hit a rock. it was a little rock, and the bike immediatley went insane. i just slid thru the ground while the bike cartwheeled in front of me. thankfully nothing serious happened, i only have rashes and bruises and cuts. i have a really big rash that's all swollen up (a ball the size of my fist) on my hip. how should i treat that?

im so angry at my ktm, ill never take it to the desert again. i posted my problem here a few days ago and everyone told me ktms were stable and perfect desert machiens. THEY ARE NOT! any time i take it to speeds above 80 kph it gets really, really nervous. big heavy bikes like xr's or drz's are much well suited. this definiteley wouldnt have happened on my drz 400, ive ridden in the same area much much faster with it and ive never had any scares. im so angry...

usually when you crash you know what you did wrong and work on correcting it. but this time i did nothing wrong, i had no time to react i wasnt being lazy, it was a tiny little rock, not even a big one. 👍:banghead:🤣:banghead:🙂:applause::foul:

oh and the damage to the bike was a twisted cycra probend handgaurd (metal literally bent 90 degrees up) and the air box cover flew off but didnt break. the chain got loose, like it fell off the sprocket. i didnt know that could happen, im so glad the motor shut off before it fell off, it wasnt tangled or anything. i just put as much of the chain on the sprocket as i could with my hand then rotated the wheel backwards and voila.

i was laying on the ground trying to make the hurt stop and a family on quads passed by. THEY DIDNT STOP. they didnt even slow down. they looked at the bike, but didnt look at me, as if they were ashamed or something. idiots...

im so angry at my ktm, ill never take it to the desert again. i posted my problem here a few days ago and everyone told me ktms were stable and perfect desert machiens. THEY ARE NOT! any time i take it to speeds above 80 kph it gets really, really nervous.

80 kph as in 50 miles per hour? I've had my 200 around 65-70 mph and didn't find any issues with stability. If you run into things then naturally you'll have problems, but the bikes themselves are not twitchy death traps.

Sounds like a problem with only your bike.

Cover the rash with ointment. If it's in a place where your clothes will stick to it, put a bandage pad on it. Otherwise open air works pretty good.

I guess you should have fixed the DRZ tire.

I don't have that problem with my bike, but I do have a steering stabilizer. I rode it that fast or faster before the stabilizer and still never had the issues you are describing. I would make sure the suspension is set up for your weight and type of riding you do and make sure everthing is tightened up like other poster's have said. Good luck...

OK... time for a little tough love.

1. you knew the bike felt unstable before you took it at 80kph down the road. Why didn't you get that resolved before you go riding again. Strike 1

2. why should somebody else have to stop to check on you. Were you riding by yourself or something? Where was your riding buddy? Strike 2

3. You've displaced your anger on your KTM when it was you that should not be hitting rocks that you cannot handle. Its crazy to be angry at a bike. What did they do to you. Strike 3

Your out!

Now go pick up your bike and read up on proper suspension and chassis setup.

ktms are not meant for wide open deserts, unless they have a steering stabilizer. yesterday i was at 80 kph and the front wheel hit a rock. it was a little rock, and the bike immediatley went insane. i just slid thru the ground while the bike cartwheeled in front of me. thankfully nothing serious happened, i only have rashes and bruises and cuts. i have a really big rash that's all swollen up (a ball the size of my fist) on my hip. how should i treat that?

im so angry at my ktm, ill never take it to the desert again. i posted my problem here a few days ago and everyone told me ktms were stable and perfect desert machiens. THEY ARE NOT! any time i take it to speeds above 80 kph it gets really, really nervous. big heavy bikes like xr's or drz's are much well suited. this definiteley wouldnt have happened on my drz 400, ive ridden in the same area much much faster with it and ive never had any scares. im so angry...

usually when you crash you know what you did wrong and work on correcting it. but this time i did nothing wrong, i had no time to react i wasnt being lazy, it was a tiny little rock, not even a big one. 👍:banghead:🤣:banghead:🙂:applause::foul:

oh and the damage to the bike was a twisted cycra probend handgaurd (metal literally bent 90 degrees up) and the air box cover flew off but didnt break. the chain got loose, like it fell off the sprocket. i didnt know that could happen, im so glad the motor shut off before it fell off, it wasnt tangled or anything. i just put as much of the chain on the sprocket as i could with my hand then rotated the wheel backwards and voila.

i was laying on the ground trying to make the hurt stop and a family on quads passed by. THEY DIDNT STOP. they didnt even slow down. they looked at the bike, but didnt look at me, as if they were ashamed or something. idiots...

If the knot is bruised, it is what is known as a hematoma. Ive got a few of them unfortunately. I wore compression shorts with the one on my hip, i have one on my back, wore a kidney belt for that one. If it is a hematoma, the skin will stay flabby because it has seperated from the muscle. It has a stinging sensation sometime, but its all good. Time is the only thing that really helps it, but heat and compression dont hurt it.

...I would make sure the suspension is set up for your weight and type of riding you do and make sure everthing is tightened up like other poster's have said...

+1

I think that pretty much sums it up.

1. you knew the bike felt unstable before you took it at 80kph down the road. Why didn't you get that resolved before you go riding again. Strike 1

2. why should somebody else have to stop to check on you. Were you riding by yourself or something? Where was your riding buddy? Strike 2

3. You've displaced your anger on your KTM when it was you that should not be hitting rocks that you cannot handle. Its crazy to be angry at a bike. What did they do to you. Strike 3

Your out!

I agree with all but #2. Like LEllis7motox said, "You should still stop to see if a rider who has gone down is ok." Why? How about common courtesy or being a fellow human being? I know I check on any rider I see go down. Whether child or adult, I always check.

Karma, man. Karma!

OP, you don't need a heavy bike. Light bikes like my KDX have no problem running flat out in the desert and I don't run a stabilizer. Do all the things everyone has already said and I'm sure the problem will be found.

guys, the bike is set up for me. everythings tightened, the suspension is set up for my weight. i RACE this bike. it's just that light bikes like these are not very stable at high speeds. my technique isn't wrong, i stand up all the time in attack position, eyes ahead. i take the turns standing up, i lean back on straights.

the front end is just too nervous, ive gotten serious headshake at those speeds on the bike before (almost got thrown off once), something thats never happened on the drz. then again, whenever i take the drz to the singletrack i end up eating dirt too. im just saying you need the right bike for the job. the ktm isn't designed to go at those speed without a stabilizer, like the drz isnt designed to go at slow technical speeds.

of course you can be really, really good and then you dont need the right bike for the job, just something with two wheels and a motor. i read on dirt rider a few months ago about a guy who ran a harescramble on a white xr 600 and almost won. he bought it used the day before and ran it like that the day after. but im not that good so... i guess i need a stabilizer or a heavier bike or just not go to the desert.

this might sound dumb, but it is possible the front tire is somehow out of balance and at high speeds it gets squirrely? Just thinking what could be wrong with his bike seeing how other people are saying theyve never had a problem with the same bike.

Your out!

1. youre right, i just thought i was doing something wrong while riding, not the bike. i thought i had gotten headshake or fallen on the bike before because i was being lazy while riding so i tried to be on top of the bike the whole time this time, reacting and negotiating with the trail. obviously that didn't work.

2. i was riding with a buddy, but the quads reached me first. why wouldnt they help? if someone was in need id help..

3. youre right, im displacing my anger (freudian concept!!).. i guess im just mad that it happened so quickly. i was riding, thinking about the trail, looking for lines, moving my body and all of a sudden with no warning BAM! the handlebars get twisted out of my hands and im sliding on the road. i didnt know what hit me, i couldnt have done anything to stop it. if i had been on the suzuki we'd probably just have jumped a little, get a bit shaken, but still be on two wheels.

2. i was riding with a buddy, but the quads reached me first. why wouldnt they help? if someone was in need id help..

Well... since you were riding with a buddy, I'll take away a strike 👍

I do agree with the courtesy of helping people who need help. I would have stopped for you if I thought you really needed help. I always stop. But if I see that you are down, but not out, I'll keep moving.

Besides, they're on quads. Do you think they really know the etiquette?

get your ktm dialed in. I know lots of guys who race those bikes at very high speed through some really nasty stuff. They are really good bikes.

The rock couldn't have been so tiny that it twisted the handlebars out of your hands. Mauricedorris, I take exception to your statement about the quad riders. I ride bikes, quads, and drive a 4x4 offroad. I have several times been the first to render aid to a fallen rider no matter what type of conveyence they were enjoying. In one incident a backseat passanger in a four seat sand rail was airlifted to the hospital after a collision with a dirt bike rider. The dirt biker also had a passenger on the back without a helmet. Luckily the passenger on the bike was unhurt. The bike rider suffered a separated shoulder which I declined to put back in place. However, the teenaged girl in the backseat was struck just below her left eye and along the left side of her head by the motorcyle handlebar. Vehicle born EMT's arrived before the helecopter and were treating he obvious injuries. I was observing the young lady because I could see the bruising and swelling already appearing. When I spoke to her, she complained of a headache and nausea. I immediatley notified the EMT's at which to the placed a C-Spine collar on her and transported her to the helicopter. The point of this is, don't stereotype people by what they ride or drive for reacreation because some of us "quadtards" may be more capable than you.

• 3 months later...

Shame on those people for not stopping or slowing to Ask if you were ok. Hell even if I see some idiot doing something to earn such a title, I'll still stop, unless the dude is jumping up and down streaming and swearing kicking their bike you stop, its just the right thing to do.

I used to take an rm125 up to 50-55 and never felt what you are describing, I'm with everyone else saying at least Check everything again, You might as well when your fixing the damage right?

This story is EXACTLY why people pay the money for a Scotts