71 honda sl 100 wheel question,problem

I have a couple of questions first can I put an 18 inch rim from an xl 250 on this bike or any other 18 inch rim...will I just need longer shox and a rim ? also when I got the bike the rear wheel is running too far to the left {looking at it sitting on bike } drivers side ...it appears as if the spacer on the left side mashed thru the tinny looking bearing cover as if someone over tourqued it forcing the spacer thru, is this common /possible or am I missing a spacer...I looked at diagrams in manual and bike bandido etc.they dont seem to help , can anyone help or does anyone have an extra one ...please help bike is ready to go x cept for this item thanks Ben

The hub and axle on your bike have the same part numbers as the first 3 years of SL125, which has an 18" rim. I'd try and find an SL125 wheel on eBay, it should bolt right up (you may have to use your sprocket) along with a spacer if needed.

I see one spacer collar on the left side of the wheel, and one inside the wheel between the bearings. If either one is missing, expect serious problems. 👍 A KX100 I recently worked on had a spacer missing, probably for years; they just loosened the axle until the rear wheel turned, hammered in the cotter pin, and their master-mechanic asses were off to the races.🤣

Ray

Ray...thanxz for the reply,so there are basically 2 spacers ?I can see where there would need to be are they the same size thickness wise ? would you have a spare thanxz again for the help Ben

Ben,

I've never owned an SL100, so I don't know anything about measurements etc. and have no spares. All the info given is just from the parts diagrams.

The left collar is Honda P/N 42313-074-010, about $7, still available, The center collar is P/N 42620-107-010, about $9, still available.

Here's a link to the parts diagram - it might be more helpful than you think:

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=157339&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1971&fveh=3655

Ray

Thanxz Ray...boy those little bitty numbers are hard to see for a Geezer ! I think it was part # 5 that was fouled up on mine 42304 107 000 so I ordered one off E-Gay,I would have gotten it off Bike Bandido ,put I dont think they take Pay-me-Pal , that Mrcycle looks pretty good also ,do you think they are better than the Bandido site ? Ben

btw the sl and mr hubs are the same

If you mean the MR175, the hub, collars/spacers, and brake shoes all have different P/N's from the '71 SL100. The SL uses rubber shock-absorbing bushings for the sprocket, while the MR sprocket bolts directly to the hub.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

front should be the same or at least is as the elsinore, the rear sl does have ruber but the casting is the same an i think you can put studs in an sl, the part numbers are different for front because the mr are black and the sl are silver

To get the petcock off screw the bowl off the bottom first. Once that is off you can remove the screen which will reveal a large phillips - I use a #3 but I know it is JIS whatever. # will work fine.