I Need A Review On The 1996 Suzuki Rm250

I have a chance to buy a 1996 Suzuki Rm250 for $700. I ride my bikes and tracks and was curios if this bike could handle the abuse of a modern day motocross track and jumps I also would like to know with the stock suspension of this bike, could it handle a steal kicker? Another question of mine is how reliable is this bike and were their any recals or problems with this year? Thank you.

I have a chance to buy a 1996 Suzuki Rm250 for $700. I ride my bikes and tracks and was curios if this bike could handle the abuse of a modern day motocross track and jumps I also would like to know with the stock suspension of this bike, could it handle a steal kicker? Another question of mine is how reliable is this bike and were their any recals or problems with this year? Thank you.

Modern motocross bikes are completely different, and therefore a 1996 can't compete or withstand the abuse... I would avoid it, strictly based on the year and the fact that its not brand new. 👍

IMO it was designed as a motocross bike so it should be able to hold up fine for a motocross track. However with the stock suspension it will not be nearly as good as a modern motocross bike. But with a little bit of money and upgrades I think you would have a decent bike for the track. $700 is not a bad price at all but since it is an older bike you will be spending alot of money on worn out parts.

...since it is an older bike you will be spending alot of money on worn out parts.

agreed!

whether or not it "can handle it" can be dependent on what sort of shape the bike is in. If the engine is tired, if the front forks and rear shock haven't ever been serviced, if the bearings weren't lubed, and the clutch basket has been beat to crap, then no...fix those first. Once that's done, you can run it at the track, but set up the suspension for your weight and be sure to keep up with the maintenance that keeps it from wearing to the point were you have to fix all those items again.

I bought a '98 RM125 last year and just spent another $1,300 on it, because:

-the steering head bearings were toast

-the front and rear wheel bearings were on the way out

-the shock linkage pivot bearing was obsolete (shattered to pieces and disappeared)

-the upper shock bearing had excessive free play

-the rear brake pin was frozen into the caliper and rounded by attempts at removal

-the rear brake pads were down to the metal, and scored the rotor to pieces

-the swing arm chain adjustments were frozen and needed to get heli-coiled

-the clutch basket was heavily grooved and the bike won't go into gear and stay running unless you rev the piss out of it and slam it into gear

-the front forks worked, but the seals were beginning to leak and it needed new bushings

-the rear shock worked, but it had never been serviced, so it needed new oil and a could use a re-charge

you must be thinking, "that bike was beat! why did you buy it??"

well, the seller told me: this bike is in great condition with a new eric gorr 144 kit (top end), hot rod stroker kit (bottom end), new barnett race clutch, and tires. It's good to go.

and it looked like this:

IMG_3561.jpg

so if you're in the same situation than I was, and you want to know if the bike "can handle it" make sure you really know what this means: whether or not it "can handle it" can be dependent on what sort of shape the bike is in

and remember, if you do spend another $1,000 to fix up a $700 bike, you still only have a $700 bike if you go to re-sell it...

I think (hope) Dan+e's comments are intended to be a touch tongue in cheek, he rides a 98 (not that it looks at all like one!) 👍

It was a good MX bike in its day and with a bit of TLC it will be good for a bit more fun yet. Even if you get it back to as new condition, dont think that you will go racing and seriously compete with the guy on new stuff, (although if you can ride, enjoy and take pride in upsetting a few of them!!)

x2 on the 96-98 RM (also RMX!!!!!!!!!) conventional Showa front forks, superb even now.

I would search for a later model for slightly more money. I picked up my 05 last year for 1500.00. It came with Pro Circuit pipe, FMF Q2 silencer, 2 tanks , 2 shock springs, great rubber, and excellent mechanical condition. If you can't find something else, then offer him LESS money..700.00 is a lot of money for such an old bike. Do not be afraid to make a ridiculously low offer. I have gone the old bike route before and regretted it. Upgrades are never ending.