Sign in to follow this  

i am dumber than you are

04yz450f, very clean, probably 50hours or so. i waas prepping last night for todays ride and found a slight oil leak on the rear of the motor between the cases new the swing arm mount. no big deal, i have not tightened bolts in probably 20 hours so...

i get out mr happy socket set and make approx 3/4 turn on the bolt and it does not seem to be getting tighter. i back the bolt out with my fingers until it is exposed by approx 10 mm. spray it super clean with compressed air and wind it back in, by hand.

put the ratchet on and snap it off with very little torque (using the 1/4" little guy, not my big lugnut breaker).

now i did not get to this spot by being a professional mechanic but i have done this same operation every 3-4 months for the last 16 years without EVER snapping one like this. because of the spot it is in, i am going to take it to my favorite real mech and see if he can get it out without removing the motor. if not, looks like early camchain, topend, bearings and whatever else i deem necessary. nothing like spending money when you don't have too.

told you i win the dumb award. yes, i know, use a good torque wrench.

Actually, I'd rather break the bolt than strip the case threads.

Small Easy-Out and it shouldn't be a problem.

Yep, good inch pound torque wrench will pay for itself pretty quick.👍

But even so.. kaka will sometimes occur.

wet bolts will snap pretty easy, it wont feel like they are tight at all, but they are

Try easy-outs first, Could come out without any issues, my oil check bolt snapped and easyout worked great!

I havnt hear that about wet bolts before, that is soething I will keep in mid when i start doing mainenance on my new 4 stroke

04yz450f, very clean, probably 50hours or so. i waas prepping last night for todays ride and found a slight oil leak on the rear of the motor between the cases new the swing arm mount. no big deal, i have not tightened bolts in probably 20 hours so...

i get out mr happy socket set and make approx 3/4 turn on the bolt and it does not seem to be getting tighter. i back the bolt out with my fingers until it is exposed by approx 10 mm. spray it super clean with compressed air and wind it back in, by hand.

put the ratchet on and snap it off with very little torque (using the 1/4" little guy, not my big lugnut breaker).

now i did not get to this spot by being a professional mechanic but i have done this same operation every 3-4 months for the last 16 years without EVER snapping one like this. because of the spot it is in, i am going to take it to my favorite real mech and see if he can get it out without removing the motor. if not, looks like early camchain, topend, bearings and whatever else i deem necessary. nothing like spending money when you don't have too.

told you i win the dumb award. yes, i know, use a good torque wrench.

Your "loosening and tightening every 3-4 months" regimen is why the bolt broke. Every time you tighten a bolt, it stretches. Over time, repeated loosening and tightening will fatigue the bolt and it will just snap with little or no pressure applied. This is why you always replace bolts in high-stress areas, like sprocket bolts.

What is Super Clean? A lubricant? That could be part of the problem if it is... as to why the bolts are loosening.

Torque wrench... yeah sure.... But, I'd highly recommend some Loctite to you my good sir 👍 .

Hope it works out OK, and on the cheap side for you.

An EZ-out should get that bolt, no problem. Just a reverse threaded drill bit gets out most fasteners unless they're bottomed out or cross threaded, which it doesn't sound like yours are. Center punch it good so you can get the bit started without getting into the case at all and you should be good to go.

Chokey's got it right. If you are not using a torque wrench to tighten the bolts, you are overstressing them and fatiguing them. Most bolts have a finite torque to yield cycles before they have stretched to a point that they are to soft and weak to hold the require clamping force.