oven cleaner on 05 yz? update!

Ok i been reading about using oven cleaner and i am confused. Can i use this on the bike or not? I really wanna use it on the cases. I see a thread saying to put it on the aluminum frame to clean it. I see people say dont put it on the frame. i read a article saying to use it to clean the top end but dont leave it on for longer than 15 minutes, i see another thread saying dont leave it on for more than a few minutes. so whats the deal?

Can i use it on the frame and motor? IF so how do you use it? just put it on and scrub it off and rinse? And how long do you leave it on for? The only thing that is confirmed is dont let it touch the rims.

Edited by sdjclevland

I know oven cleaner works really well for removing the color from anodized aluminum pieces. I believe its too heavy duty to use as a all-around cleaner. I would not let it anywhere near my bike. I like to use this test. Spray a tiny bit on the end of a finger. It if does not burn, its probably ok for my bike.

Now, dont even try this with oven cleaner as it hurts..bad!

Why don't you just g out and get naval jelly cleaner made for aluminum. Oven cleaned is some bad caustic stuff where naval jelly is a brush on, wait a few minutes and wash off cleaner and it is a lot safer to use than oven cleaner. Like the can says, oven cleaner, unless you use your bike to bake a cake with, i would stay away from the stuff!!

The oven cleaner did a good job on the swingarm. No damage done even after it being on for two hours. It is a decent cleaner. I dont know if I would use it as there are many other products that work as well, or better, and are not so awful to deal with.

Ok I tryed using a little elbow grease on the cases and was not having much luck so I said hell with it and got some oven cleaner.

The bottom of my cases are pretty bad you can't even see bear metal. I sparayed some oven cleaner on and just let it sit for a minute or two cause I was paranoid and used some scotch brite and it worked great! It started taking the crap right off. I tried a little on my frame and that worked well also. It cleaned it up nicely! So don't be scared, use it

I just use simple green and either a scrub brush or a scotch brite pad. I get a little weirded out by using something that caustic on my bike.

simple green is caustic on soft metals. I know of a couple of trashed bikes from using it.

Ok if I remember I will tomorrow. I have to charge my camera. It still needs a lot of work I did not have time to really have a go at it cause I had to leave for work. But you will be able to see how bad the cases are atleast and see some result.

Btw I trued simple green before just as a cleaner and I really don't care for it. The bottom of my cases really do need some heavy duty stuff