Sign in to follow this  

4 stroke newbie

Hey,

Ive been doing some research but also want to hear what you guys can tell me about an 04 crf 250. My brother is thinking of purchasing this bike and we have been long time 2 stroke bikers.

I heard that many people have oil burning problems, but what else commonly goes bad in these newer 4 stroke bikes? Also read that lots of people were converting the TI valves for SS valves along with proper SS valve springs.

Apparently this bike had timing chain problems which he had a dealer fix for him, along with an engine rebuild.

Any ideas what to look for when we go check this out?

Thanks!

Receipts for the repairs. Maintenance records, etc...

Quiz the guy on how often he changed the air filter and oil, chains & sprockets. What kind of oil did he use?... How many times did he rebuild the forks, take apart the rear linkage and swingarm bearing, etc...Check for an hour meter. No hour meter on an old bike like that means it probably was maintained poorly.

If he doesn't have a really good grasp of maintenance then pass...

And see how well is starts bone-cold.

These bikes can last a very long time if and only if they're maintained meticulously. If not they're rolling cash furnaces...

Also I would be worried about valves on a bike this old, especially since some 04s had valve problems. If you can afford it go newer, but this is just my opinion. If you do decide to buy it make sure you do everything fear said. Also inspect the oil and air filter. Matence will be a lot more on this bike (and all other race 4 strokes) then ur 2strokes. If u get a good service manual (avoid Clymer) then it shouldnt be a problem

Fear and hondamxracer both make good points. The best being if you can buy a newer 4S you'll have more money in the bank in the end.

I had an 04 CRF250R. Honda had some pretty major valve problems in these years. By around 06 (I think) they had them just about worked out. These bikes (meaning 4S's) do cost more money to run/maintenance. God for bid if you blow a motor or loose a crank...

If you could come up with an extra $500 maybe $1000 now for a newer 4S that could be cheaper in the long run.

Ok, he ended up finding a 05 rmz 250. It currently is sittin in the garage already half apart... haha

Thanks for the honest information! Deffinately looks worthwhile spending an extra 1000 dollars to upgrade to a newer bike and avoid the newer year 4strokes... For now I'll have to work with what we got.

Good for you. Glad the hear we all could help you in your buying decision! Good luck and let us now how that new purchase turns out.