95 XR250R need help!!

So here's what's going on, I bought a 95 xr250r and rode it for 4 rides when the shift shaft broke, so pulled motor apart, replaced everything, new top end and bottem, now I've put it all back together using oem manual. Stock specs.

When I bought the bike it didn't have the manual decompression set up on it. It still doesn't have it, now the bike will kick anywhere from 1-10 time before the motor binds up, and won't kick anymore. Is this due to the manual decompression not being set up or is something else wrong. Any help would be great. Thank u

With the compression of a new top end, if you get the kickstarter at the top of it's stroke at TDC, it can seem like it's bound up. You're supposed to start an XR from TDC. Having a manual decomp can help you kick slightly past the hard spot at TDC before trying to start.

Without having a manual decomp, try getting the engine just before TDC and kickstart from there. That way you'll start your kick with enough momentum to blow thru TDC, but still get a TDC starting kick.

I'm assuming you didn't have the bike long enough before tearing it down to realize this is how the XR motor is supposed to be started and that you may be perceiving what you're experiencing as a problem, when actually, it's normal operation.

You could indeed have something else going on, but I'd make sure this is not it first.

Thank you Trailryder, but the only thing is that when it binds up, i mean it wont move at all. I can literally stand on the kick start shaft and it wont move(165 lbs). I've had to kick the bike over a lot in those 4 rides( getting back into riding). To get it un-binded I have to take off the cap on the left cover and rotate the motor counter-clock wise to get it so I can kick again. Guess I should have mentioned that in the first place.

Now from what you said about the manual decompression, your making me think that I have something else wrong inside the bottem end. Do you guys have any ideas what it might be. And thanks for all the help.

I had a high compression BSA 500 single and if you positioned the the kicker horizontal on the compression stroke you could jump up and down on the kicker and the engine would not move.

You must move the piston just past TDC compression before engaging the kick starter, this give you 1 1/2 turns of the crank to get it moving fast enough for the flywheel mass to carry it thru the compression stroke. That is why all large singles have a manual and/or automatic compression release. What you did is rotate the engine backwards away from the compression stroke, hardly an easy method when trail riding. To check this out you could put the tranny in 4th or higher and roll the bike bakwards to do the same thing. I suggest you install the automatic release, the bike will start easier and the kick start mechanism will last longer.

I had a high compression BSA 500 single and if you positioned the the kicker horizontal on the compression stroke you could jump up and down on the kicker and the engine would not move.

You must move the piston just past TDC compression before engaging the kick starter, this give you 1 1/2 turns of the crank to get it moving fast enough for the flywheel mass to carry it thru the compression stroke. That is why all large singles have a manual and/or automatic compression release. What you did is rotate the engine backwards away from the compression stroke, hardly an easy method when trail riding. To check this out you could put the tranny in 4th or higher and roll the bike bakwards to do the same thing. I suggest you install the automatic release, the bike will start easier and the kick start mechanism will last longer.

im confused. i recently ground valves and put rings in a friends 1990 xr250,it has no decompression at all and can be kicked over. not exactly easy but doable,and im not huge either. im not convinced the motor has been built without error.

The bike didn't feel anything like this before it was torn apart. It wouldn't bind up in any way. So im thinking that somehngs not right in the bottem end! Does anyone have an idea to what might cause it to bind up? I really dout that this is normal, considering it never did this before.

I would start by removing the clutch side cover and making sure everything (kickstart assembly, clutch assembly, oil pump, etc..) was installed correctly. Search for loose bolts or evidence of parts hitting each other.