Sign in to follow this  

Help from the experts with CRF pilot circuit please!!

I got an '05 crf50 that was left with gas in it and and the pilot circuit is clogged. It is non-removable on these little guys so I am needing to get it cleaned out. When I stick a very small wire in the tube from the bowl side, it only goes in slightly more than an 1/8 inch. Here are my questions:

1) I don't think the size of the hole in the end of the tube is the overall orifice size, so I'm guessing that it necks down somewhere in the tube- correct? Is the point where my wire is stopping a clog, or is that possibly where the orifice gets smaller, or both?

2) What size (in thousandths) is the orifice that goes all the way through- ie, what size wire should I be using to be able to pass through the orifice, but just barely so that it cleans all the gunk out of the entire opening?

3) Where does the pilot tube come out on the other end so that I can go at it from both sides?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I couldn't get anything to open at that link, but I do have an update...

The pilot jet is removable on these carbs, just not the normal way. I grabbed the tube with a pail or pliers and twisted while pulling and got it to come out. I've been working on it for going on two days now and have still not been able to get it clear. I am using carb cleaner (soaking it) compressed air and cutting torch tip cleaners to try to get it unclogged. There was a brief moment when I could see a small opening through it, but another piece of crud must have gotten in there while trying to blow it clear, so now it remains clogged. I'm beginning to wonder if I am ever going to get it cleared out. Any other methods to try?

Since it is removable, is this a part that can be ordered? All the local shops are closed today and most are closed tomorrow too, so I don't have any parts counters to consult...

Thanks for the help!

should be a $5 fix at the most. Call a dealer...they probably have it in stock if they have a service dept.

The pilot is not supposed to be replaceable on these and is not on the microfiche from Honda. I have not been able to find an aftermarket replacement, so I am trying to figure out how to get this thing cleared out.

Since I have been working on it for days using normal methods without any luck 👍, I think I have to go to plan B. My idea is to get a drill bit that is the correct size to match the orifice and then insert it and turn it by hand to try to loosen up whatever is in there clogging the hole. My problem is that I don't know what the exact size of the orifice is.

Does anyone have this info or know where I can find it so that I can buy a drill bit and try to salvage the jet?

Thanks for you help- I really appreciate it.

do not drill it.

use a small butane torch to heat the jet.the crud will burn out.

this goes with out saying,but make sure you are no where near gasoline while dong this.

do not drill it.

use a small butane torch to heat the jet.the crud will burn out.

this goes with out saying,but make sure you are no where near gasoline while dong this.

Great advice! I didn't think of that. Thanks Eddie!!🤣👍🙂

Well, I got it fixed. 👍 I tried the "burn it out" method and it still wouldn't clear, so I decided to get a drill bit. I found a .015" drill bit at Grainger. Then I chucked up the jet in my drill (the bit is WAY too small to chuck up🤣) and held the drill bit with a pair of needle nose pliers. The drill bit went through almost immediately. That opened up the door to be able to use the tip cleaner to get it cleaned out the rest of the way. Put the carb back together and it runs perfect!🙂

Just in case anyone is wondering, it is NOT possible to buy a new pilot jet for these carbs- this has been confirmed by multiple shops now. It IS, however, possible to remove the pilot jet and then reinstall it good as new.