Sign in to follow this  

low coolant

Depends on many factors. What bike do you ride? What type of riding were you doing? Low RPM's? High RPM's? How low was the coolant?

The bike won't be damaged, as long as the engine didn't get too hot.

Worst case, the bike would seize. You'd know right away if this happened.

i ride an 08 crf 450r i was riding around mid rpms just doing some trail riding on dirt roads around my hosue with a temp around 7 degres celcius my bike was still running when i shut it off but the power was not there at all.... could over heating cause this ?

why damange can runing your bike on low coolant for about a half hour do ?

Runing a bike with low coolant level can Over heat the motor witch can warp the cylinder. Once you do that, you either need a to replace the cylinder or bore and replate the warped one. Neither would be good.

An even more important question is how did it get low?

It Could be a leaking head gasket, witch could end up costing you alot more $$. Coolant destroy's bearings, pistons, rings and cylinders.

Its imporimportant to find the source of the missing coolant.

i ride an 08 crf 450r i was riding around mid rpms just doing some trail riding on dirt roads around my hosue with a temp around 7 degres celcius my bike was still running when i shut it off but the power was not there at all.... could over heating cause this ?

Thats not good to hear, power loss is an indication of low compression Wich could be a warped cylinder, from over heating.

Do not take your bike apart yet!

Do you have a service manual?

1) Find out how much coolant was lost.

2) Determine what your compression is, the only way to do a compression test is preforming a leak down test.

Start here and this will tell you what direction you need to go.

Edited by mxn4life

i and nto capable of repairing my bike so i am going to take it out to get fixed around how much money are we talking if the cylinder head is warped and i need to do a complete rebuild.... thanks for the input guys

Depends what bike and how hard you ride . I had my bro's Yz80 that we took on one or two rides that was starting to drain fluid into the tranny. And a good amount and it never had signs of overheating. Rebuilt the whole waterpump assembly and good as new.

Depends what bike and how hard you ride . I had my bro's Yz80 that we took on one or two rides that was starting to drain fluid into the tranny. And a good amount and it never had signs of overheating. Rebuilt the whole waterpump assembly and good as new.

You have a simple small two stroke. This guy has a complicated racing four stroke. Huge differance.

i and nto capable of repairing my bike so i am going to take it out to get fixed around how much money are we talking if the cylinder head is warped and i need to do a complete rebuild.... thanks for the input guys

Sorry bro; depending on the damage done, it could put a good dent in the wallet.

If the crank, cylinder and piston are bad, your looking at 1500 $

If the crank is good and you only need to replace piston and repair cylinder your looking at about 500$ or so.

I'm sure your head is ok so that you will save some coin there.

These are estimates based on what I charge. The shop you take it to could be higher, they wont be lower.

About how many hours do you have on the motor?

i have about 130 hrs on the motor

Well your probably going to need head work to, so your looking at a full rebuild. The cost will be in the neiborhodd of 2000$ Parts & labor.

Labor is more than half the cost, parts only cost 600$.

Four strokes are so expensive because people cant work on them their selves. Thats good for me. I'm sorry that it happend to you.

PM me if there is anything I can do to help, Good luck.

...Four strokes are so expensive because people cant work on them their selves. .....

Oh BS... Just get a factory service manual and figure it out. A good set of simple tools and a little ingenuity go a long way. And with the Internet these days it really isn't that hard to figure out the tough problems with a little advice...

It's a motorcycle engine, not a rocket ship.

I don't know if BS is an accurate description Fear for the ease of a full rebuild. I bet 90% of competant riders who do most of their own work would not attempt a full rebuild.

Getting back to the issue at hand If the bike was not smoking/steaming or smelling from over heating then it may well be ok. Bikes do seem to drop performance when really hot (and just before the piston starts grabbing the bore). I would find the cause for the loss of coolant first-it needs resolving in any case, change oil and oil filter a ride her gently and see how see goes. If it is not running as you expect then there is some sort of mechanical issue to be resolved. However going by what you indicated it should not be too extensive. Good luck to you.

Oh BS... Just get a factory service manual and figure it out. A good set of simple tools and a little ingenuity go a long way. And with the Internet these days it really isn't that hard to figure out the tough problems with a little advice...

It's a motorcycle engine, not a rocket ship.

Thats funny because guys like you, bring their motors to me all the time after they jack them all up. There either trying to do somthig that required a speciaty tool or think they know what there doing and they dont.

It never fails, the more complicated bikes get the more guy's I see gernading motors because they thought they where "Machanically inclined".

That being said If you can read and follow directions, all you need is the required tools to do the job. The hardest part about building egines right is obtaining the correct tooling.

If you have never rebuilt a motor before, I can see how a four stroke would over welm you. But yeh its not rocket science.

Being an Engineer, rocket science isnt that difficult either.

i filled my bike back up with coalant today and it started fine ... i took it over the road and it was running fine but when i ca,e back i noticed alot of coalent on my belly pan so i am guessing it is leakin.... when i shut the bike off last time before i knew what the problem was there was no burning smell of anything i just noticed the engine was hot when i went to wash it off

i filled my bike back up with coalant today and it started fine ... i took it over the road and it was running fine but when i ca,e back i noticed alot of coalent on my belly pan so i am guessing it is leakin.... when i shut the bike off last time before i knew what the problem was there was no burning smell of anything i just noticed the engine was hot when i went to wash it off

Can you see where the coolant is coming from?

no i cant tell when it is coming from it looks like its coming from one of the radiator houses but i ant sure

May want to check your weep hole on your water pump. I have the same problem and need to replace the water pump. Also you may want to look at the case gasket/Seal, thats where i found my leaks. just my .02