Some YZ250 Questions

Hey all,

I am thinking about purchasing a modern 2T and have heard great things about the YZ. However, I have always ridden red. I have never ridden a Yamaha or a modern 2T. I do ride a CRF250x and an XR400. Are there any year models that are better than others? Are there any pitfalls to avoid. I ride a lot of woods and fire roads and hare scrambles. I am 6' and around 200lbs. Any advice would be appreciated!

A yz250 would be great, they are light, very powerful, and they are often a good base plan for a very good woods bike with little modifications. Mine is old, but you would never know by looking at it and it has been the most reliable bike I have ever had, and I came off a kdx200! The 2 stroke twitch will take some getting used too but when you do get used to it, you will love how flickable it is compared to the tank of a xr400 you have!! Nothing against xr400s.... but the yz250 is lighter and more powerful.

the YZ250 is regarded as one of the best bikes you can own, period, due to the fact that it has been slowly evolved and refined each year to the point where from 2006 MY-present you can buy one and not have to upgrade anything to be happy since it has been perfected. if you have to ride red on a 2T then unfortunately you are looking at the CR250 which has been one of the most troublesome bikes the last decade. Between the harsh new aluminum frame in the late 90's, to the finicky jetting and harsh forks and especially the electronic powervalve years that sucked the life out the the engine I believe from 02 or 03 til it was discontinued. Bad choice!

Any year YZ250 is a solid choice and I can't think of any year YZ's that have serious "pitfalls" but if possible get the 2006+ bike since it has the best suspension on the showroom floor, the SSS, and the aluminum frame. There is really no difference between 06 and on bikes except minor changes in handlebars, jetting, etc.

I am around 200lbs and the suspension is pretty spot on for woods riding, maybe just some minor clicker adjustments and sag height. The SSS suspension is genius since it allows small bumps to be soaked up nice and big hits too. The only thing you really need to do to make it a seriously fun woods weapon is (I have been researching this lately) maybe add a tooth to the rear sprocket to get 2nd and 3rd gear into play sooner, and although a FMF Gnarly or PC Platinum 2 pipe help with low end it seems a 8-9oz flywheel weight is better for the woods overall to smooth out the powerband a little and aid traction.

Im 220 without gear and have two yz 250s and they will do anything I want em to, with minor mods they can be made into any kind of offroad bike you want it to be. More than enough power, lightweight, and low maint costs... what more could anyone ask for? Oh thats right you get to enjoy the smell of the premix as you throw the roost!

Hey

Thanks for all of the positive feedback. I will probably move on with this!! When I first thought about getting a two stroke I knew I wanted something that was still made today and had a good reputation. The CR's seem to be very problematic (very un-hondalike) and keeping up with good vs bad years is a hassle. And, as I mentioned previously, I have never heard anything but good stuff about Yamaha and the YZ. I rode a 2T as a kid and I love the sounds and the smell of premix in the woods! I guess you never get it out of your blood!

yz's do have tighter ergos than the aluminum framed CR's, that is a certainty. Not a problem for me, since I am 5' 11" and 175lbs...

To the OP. I would highly recommend investing in an 06 or newer YZ250. That said, if you have the means, buy new! You will be supporting the struggle to keep the 2 stroke alive, and proving to Yamaha that there are people out there who still want, and desire these bikes. I bought new last year, and couldn't be happier with the decision. I got a bike with 0 hrs, that I could modify to my specific usage. Plus, I will always know the service history of the bike, I will always know what modifications have been made and or removed, and I will always know what difference each and every part I put on the bike makes compared to stock!

I say, if you can swing it, BUY NEW!!!!!