Sign in to follow this  

XR80 tires?

I just ordered some tires for my 80 and it sucked because I only had a couple tires to choose from. I got a rear Michelin Starcross MH3 which is fine because I know that I like that tire. But on the front, I got a Bridgestone M22 because it was either that or a dual sport tire. What the heck? Are there more tires to choose from?

Lots more tires to choose from..Go to a local shop and see what they have.

i think there's only 3-4 choices. an early 80's cr 80 front wheel will work, not sure what year or you can have a 17" rim laced to your xr 80 hub.

i think there's only 3-4 choices. an early 80's cr 80 front wheel will work, not sure what year or you can have a 17" rim laced to your xr 80 hub.

Thanks man!

Sorry for the head bonk. I assumed that you would know that my resources are the same as the bike shops. They order from the same catalogs and websites that I do.🤣👍

^Oh sorry bout that I honestly thought there were tons of tires to choose from. guess not

run the dualsport tires.. specifically the trailwings made for an XL80S or you could mount enduro/trials tread made for an earlier XL75 these dont look like it but they offer more grip off road than the dualsport treads.

this will improve riders skill. then later mount some scooter tires ala supermoto if your really serious about improving skills.

this saves on tire bills too unless youre riding and sliding on pavement.

knobbies are for novice riders except when racing MX and only then if you plan on a podium otherwise whats the point?

seriously give this some consideration. I offer it as sound advice.

run the dualsport tires.. specifically the trailwings made for an XL80S or you could mount enduro/trials tread made for an earlier XL75 these dont look like it but they offer more grip off road than the dualsport treads.

this will improve riders skill. then later mount some scooter tires ala supermoto if your really serious about improving skills.

this saves on tire bills too unless youre riding and sliding on pavement.

knobbies are for novice riders except when racing MX and only then if you plan on a podium otherwise whats the point?

seriously give this some consideration. I offer it as sound advice.

Dude, my skills are as good as they're going to get. I've been riding for 24 years. I wouldn't put "scooter" tires on a bike if you gave them to me. Thanks for the advise, but I'll pass. I like knobbies because I can roost people with smooth tires when I pass them. 👍

Dude, my skills are as good as they're going to get. I've been riding for 24 years.

if your skills are as good as they are going to get then youre just kidding yourself no matter what level of experience.

I wouldn't put "scooter" tires on a bike if you gave them to me. Thanks for the advise, but I'll pass. I like knobbies because I can roost people with smooth tires when I pass them. 👍

I say scooter tires because thats all thats available in the form of a semi slick for these 80 rims.

slicks or dualsport tires will imrpove anyones skills but for some of us it adds to the fun factor but you gotta put fear and ego aside first to get to that level.

if its all about the "roost" for you then why are you riding an 80?

I'm a solid b rider. I don't get to ride much these days, therefore my riding does not improve. I'm slower now than in my hayday. I used to be a fast b rider. Now I'm heavier, have a lot of old injuries and have three kids. That's the recipe for slowness.

I ride in the dirt and mud only. I don't ride any pavement. I have to have knobbies to hook up. A semi knob packs up and turns to a ball of mud.

I like trying to roost with my 80 but I was just messing with you. I also have a XC300 that I try to roost with. 👍