Sign in to follow this  

crf450 electric problems. PLEASE LOOK!

i have a 2003 crf 450r good fuel,decent spark,new stator, timing is set right and the valves are set right. every so often trying to kick start it it will back fire or a little rumble that it is trying to start but wont start. I tried getting pulled to start it and it was like it wasnt hitting at all. does anyone have any ideas?????

Seems like I'm having that same issue on my 02. Try disconnecting the kill switch. Or pull it apart and see of it has contact. Don't forget, those are exposed to a ton of dirt.

Seems like I'm having that same issue on my 02. Try disconnecting the kill switch. Or pull it apart and see of it has contact. Don't forget, those are exposed to a ton of dirt.

if the kill switch was bad it would not have any spark or backfire..... how much compression does it have..psi?

If you removed the pickup coil, this could be your problem. (this was my dumbsh*t move when I installed a new cam chain)

There is a bracket that goes below the pickup coil to hold the wire in place. When I reinstalled my pickup coil, I installed the bracket on top of the coil instead of below it. The bracket now blocked the sensor from picking up the pulse from the flywheel.

Mine had the same symptons. The bike ran fine before I took it apart, so I couldnt understand why it wouldn't fire. After many ohm meter tests trying to figure where the problem was I took it back apart. I pulled the pickup coil back out and discovered my mistake.

Put it back together and it fired up 2nd kick

I've had it happen where I rebuilt my motor in my old 02. Ended up the woodriff key on the crank holding the flywheel in place sheared in half. Every once and a while you'd get a backfire, but it would never start. If all else fails, pull the flywheel off and check the key.