Sign in to follow this  

Installing a Big Bore Kit - Advice ?

Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks for the help TT has given out so far .

From another thread, to make a long story short my K&N Air filter let in some dirt and now Im looking at a new top end along with a new cylinder

I found a big bore kit that has everything, cylinder and top end (right?)

I've ripped apart my engine before but nothing to the extreme. Im somewhat mechanically inclined.

Would I be able to install this kit by myself ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/490cc-Athena-Big-Bore-Kit-RMZ450-RMZ-RM-Z-450-2005-06_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439c02a70cQQitemZ290380228364QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2809wt_989

What do I need to prepare/learn in advance ?

Thanks alot !

Yeh its easy, you can do it.

I personally wouldnt waste money on a big bore, you don't need it. The bike in far from under powerd.

I would recomend port work and a high comp piston before that junk. Thats just me though.

What year is the bike?

1) Get a service manual, read and understand every step. The best thing you can do for your bike and yourself.

2) Take your time and double check everything alway's.

if it let dirt in, then your valves are probably bad which means you would also need new valves and seats cut, if this is the case then it would be a good idea to send the whole head to a shop. as far as the cyclinder and piston kit from ebay, that will cover everything besides the valves

if it let dirt in, then your valves are probably bad which means you would also need new valves and seats cut, if this is the case then it would be a good idea to send the whole head to a shop. as far as the cyclinder and piston kit from ebay, that will cover everything besides the valves

So I should send the whole head to the shop and get the valves and seat cuts ?

Then when I get it back install the big bore kit ?

Thanks.