Sign in to follow this  

1997 XR600 very little spark

Bike is very hard to start,kick kick kick and I might hear it try to fire and then it suddenly does start up and then I do a test ride and it seems to run ok and then I park it and it will not fire at all after that. Repeat of kick kick kick.

Its a semi rebuild refab on this XR600 that I came across in a trade over winter. It was in poor condition yet it did run and I liked it so it came home with me. Total clean up in every way. Valve job, new paint, all fluids changed ect.

All grounds are correct, carb is rebuilt, cleaned, jetted properly, floats set correctly, clean tank, new fuel ect. This bike is ready to go. It should start easily if I had a decent spark.

I did checks on the components per the manual and all of the good info from this forum.

Let me know if its what I think it is.

I did the following checks.

1: the eyeball test-very weak spark looking at the plug grounded against the head.

Also when kicking the engine over the TrailTech Vapor computer does light up so some juice is getting to it.

2: stator redblack wire I read - 86.3 ohm (230-320)

That tells me the stator is toast and needs to be replaced.

3: ignition coil primary-0.2 (0.1-0.3)

ignition coil secondary -2.6 (7.4 - 11)

ignition coil secondary with spark plug cap removed- 2.93 (3.7-4.5)

I am back to making toast and I got no butter=bad, needs replacing

4: Pulse generator - 398 (360-440) = good

So unless I hear something different I think the stator and the ignition coil need to be replaced and then this bike should fire off and run reliably.

Please let me know if I am way off before I throw some bucks at the bike.

Bike is very hard to start,kick kick kick and I might hear it try to fire and then it suddenly does start up and then I do a test ride and it seems to run ok and then I park it and it will not fire at all after that. Repeat of kick kick kick.

Its a semi rebuild refab on this XR600 that I came across in a trade over winter. It was in poor condition yet it did run and I liked it so it came home with me. Total clean up in every way. Valve job, new paint, all fluids changed ect.

All grounds are correct, carb is rebuilt, cleaned, jetted properly, floats set correctly, clean tank, new fuel ect. This bike is ready to go. It should start easily if I had a decent spark.

I did checks on the components per the manual and all of the good info from this forum.

Let me know if its what I think it is.

I did the following checks.

1: the eyeball test-very weak spark looking at the plug grounded against the head.

Also when kicking the engine over the TrailTech Vapor computer does light up so some juice is getting to it.

2: stator redblack wire I read - 86.3 ohm (230-320)

That tells me the stator is toast and needs to be replaced.

3: ignition coil primary-0.2 (0.1-0.3)

ignition coil secondary -2.6 (7.4 - 11)

ignition coil secondary with spark plug cap removed- 2.93 (3.7-4.5)

I am back to making toast and I got no butter=bad, needs replacing

4: Pulse generator - 398 (360-440) = good

So unless I hear something different I think the stator and the ignition coil need to be replaced and then this bike should fire off and run reliably.

Please let me know if I am way off before I throw some bucks at the bike.

Rare for ignition coil problems,,

Very common for the OE stator to die.....

I`d replace the stator......and see what happens first before wasting money on a coil...

B

I agree with you Brian, but why the low numbers on the coil?

Should this be a red flag or just ignore for now and replace the stator and then review the situation?

Well anyway I guess Im not going down a complete blind alley.

Thanks.

I agree with you Brian, but why the low numbers on the coil?

Should this be a red flag or just ignore for now and replace the stator and then review the situation?

Well anyway I guess Im not going down a complete blind alley.

Thanks.

Well if you are checking this at the proper temperature then i guess the coil is out of spec.........and for the few bucks it`d cost then i`d change it too..just be sure you check it at the proper temp,,usually room temperature is safe..

B