First 2 Stroke - What to look out for

Hi Guys,

New to this section of TT, My son has had a YZ250F for about a year now and wants a 2 stroke, Tomorrow we are going to look at a 2006 YZ125 and i just wanted to know what to look out for E.G. any weak areas or points to watch for, I know you guys are knowledgeble in this subject .

Regards.

Mike.

Pretty much just like any four stroke. Just check the pipe for dents to show how much abuse. Also ask how many/often top ends, filter cleaned, and lastly make sure to ask what oil ratio they used. If they don't know don't buy the bike.👍

Wow, all my friends are switching to 4 strokes, pising me off lol. Im stayin. Any way. get on the bike while its running, put in first, if it lurches or jumps, might need a clutch basket. Tell him not to start it before you get there, see where the jetting is and how good the commpression that way. Check the oil to see if there is any coolant(milkey oil, white) Check air filter, a good owner will maintain the bike etc. Check for coolant. Wheelberings (side to side movement) In the wheels font and rear. Chek te sprokets for wear. Look under the bike to see any leakage, etc. See what he mixed the fuel ratio at. Ride it in all gears, BE CAREFULL!!!!! oh and the front and rear suspension leakage.

Neglect, broken or loose footpegs is a great indicator to tell you that the bike has been crashed many many times. To loosen one of those takes quite a bit of abuse.

Bearings are a big item, make sure that the suspension feels smooth, there should be no play in the wheels either, side to side or up and down. Steering head bearings will need replacing or greasing if moving the bars from side to side yields roughness.

Check behind the air filter, make sure that the intake boot is clean, indicates proper air filter sealing. Any dirt behind there, and you could expect engine issues to arise, these bikes are so sensitive to dirt, it's easy for a kaboom to happen if dirt has entered the engine over a small period of time.

Fork seals seem to go faster than you'd like on these bikes. Look for grease spots on the fork lug, the owner may clean up the fork tubs (inner) to make them look like they are sealing, but the lugs never lie. If there's caked on grease/dirt near the fork lug on the right side, then there could be a bad seal. Right brake caliper should be clean of grease too, if there is grease on the outside with dirt caked on over the years, possible leaking brake line (I don't see too many leak however) or more likely a leaky left fork seal.

A compression test would be awesome if the owner will allow you to remove the gas tank. With the bike cold and the throttle wide open, kick it over several times and see what you get. Anything higher than 200 would be a strong engine, 170+ means that it's still good but getting worn, and below 150 would be rebuild time IMO.

However compression doesn't tell you everything, it also can't tell you if the owner did a rebuild right, doing proper ring gap for example...

Remember it's a dirt bike, small abuse is normal like scratched plastics, worn off paint on the clutch cover, worn off sheen on the aluminum near where your boots rub, etc.

Buying a used bike is always a little risky, the yammys are pretty reliable and even when abused seem to hold up fairly well.

My brother bought an 01 about a year ago, heavily abused and he has never done the top end even though the kick feels weak on compression. Still runs like a champ.

You can never check everything, but you can at least check the simple things and minimize the chance of getting a bad bike, but everyone seems to forget something to check when they buy, and finding about it later when they ride and spending money.

So yea, expect to put a few more dollars into it after you buy.

Hope that helps.

something no one has specifically mentioned is the faulty shift stopper in the 06. its pretty easy to do, i just did it. (with assistance) other than that, there isnt any other problems with them. they are really great, fun bikes. getting the jetting dialed in is a royal pain in the ass though.

yeah i thought the shift stopper was 05 only also but either way the only way you will know about that is after you buy it or if the person lets you tear the clutch apart right ther and then.

I just got my first two stroke a little bit ago and researched a bunch about it and i think it just comes down to trusting your own instinct.

Thanks for all the replies,

Apart from the shift stopper fault it's pretty much down to common sense, a keen eye and trust.

We left the YZ125 as it was obvious it had been neglected - the price was to high for the condition of the bike so we left it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Regards.

Mike.