Sign in to follow this  

People who have legalized their dirtbikes/mxers, I would appreciate help!

I'm looking at buying a used '95-'03 dirtbike/mx bike of any brand and legalizing it for all purpose street use, and every off road use except crazy jumps and mudding. The reason I'm doing this is because its a lot harder to find a used dual sport bike, and they are often too big and heavy.

I just want to know what bike would be the best to do this to, or at least what bikes definitely not to do this to. I heard some stuff about the CRF450X and the TI valves being bad for street use.

Also whats would be a good tire usage for 50/50? Is having the bike tire more knobbie and the front more enduro a possibilty?

I really don't know that much so any information would be helpful, especially people who have converted some bikes already. Thank you so much

-Victor

I'm looking at buying a used '95-'03 dirtbike/mx bike of any brand and legalizing it for all purpose street use, and every off road use except crazy jumps and mudding. The reason I'm doing this is because its a lot harder to find a used dual sport bike, and they are often too big and heavy.

I just want to know what bike would be the best to do this to, or at least what bikes definitely not to do this to. I heard some stuff about the CRF450X and the TI valves being bad for street use.

Also whats would be a good tire usage for 50/50? Is having the bike tire more knobbie and the front more enduro a possibilty?

I really don't know that much so any information would be helpful, especially people who have converted some bikes already. Thank you so much

-Victor

Not to sound like a jerk, but this question gets asked several times a month, and has been covered hundreds of times: you have asked for tons of info, and you might want to try the search feature for some of your questions.

start by checking with your state on how to plate a bike... it's often hard to get a dirt bike with a title if your state requires one, and using a bill of sale can be tricky, especially if something ends up coming up funny when you go to get a title for it.

In the meantime, look at some of the DS conversion kits out there, make sure you can afford them! They can get pricey.

As for tires, I like the Dunlop D606 for the rear. About as 50/50 you can get without giving up mud traction. I use a Shinko 700 for the front, it's more street oriented but it doesn't give the traction that a more aggresive DOT legal tire might give (like a MT21). It depends on how much time you plan on spending on either surface, and what kind of conditions you encounter off road. I ride a lot of sloppy areas, often by myself, so i need good traction off road to avoid getting stuck or having the front tire slide out on everything.

Honestly just keep your eyes open for a legit enduro. I had to look every day for 2 months, but i finally found one and didn't have to incure the added costs of new tires, DS kits, or the hassle of getting a title and a plate. Once you buy the bike you're going to want to ride it, not spend a month or two getting it legit.

As already suggested, check out how your state handles such issues. Some states are totally lax about it, others totally anal. Ask people in your region, ask a lot of people because you will get fifty different answers. Then ask your DMV/DOT/etc.

In WA state (or Calif.), if the title or MSO says 'off-road use only', you might as well move on, they won't give you a plate, and even if you do somehow manage to get one by mistake (some private licensing agencies don't know the law of miss the labeling), eventually DMV will catch it and take the plate back, or not renew it.

Good luck. I found the the euro bikes are better in this regard than the Japanese, but a lot depends on your state's licensing laws which I have no clue about.

If you're honestly this new to the whole DS thing, a DRZ400 will do you just

fine. Tons of them around dirt cheap.

First thing to do is to find out if you can do it in your state. In LOTS of states you cannot. If you can't, then much of that info you asked about will be worthless if you go search for that info first.

I am looking at putting my 650r on the street. The Bridgestone trail wing says its a 50/50 tire.

The DRZ folks call those tires Deathwing's because if you try going offroad with them you will die

The Bridgestone Trail wing is a good street tire that may be taken on a dirt (dry) road SLOWLY....Very slowly........If I was going to have fun in the dirt, I would run in the opposite direction from that model of tire......

There are many good 50/50 tires out there, but that is not one of them, unless you like idling very slowly offroad.......

2cents........

M

I am looking at putting my 650r on the street. The Bridgestone trail wing says its a 50/50 tire.

After just going down this road... Unless you have an MSO for your bike MN will not plate it. NO MATTER WHAT. Your best bet for MN is to buy a KTM EXC (any size) or a WR (any size). Those two bike will make your life easy in the state of MN. As for the DS kit do your homework. I have under $250 in to mine including tires, stator, and lights but I bought everything seperate over time and on sale. $500 is probably about average on what you will spend to make an MXer street legal paying retail for stuff. But like I said do your homework it will save you some time and money.