Bike question

I have always wanted a yz 250, and since I currently only have one bike, CRF250r that I built for motocross this winter, well just suspension and tires but I am only going to use it for motocross this season. My question is, is the YZ250 a good woods bike? I would use the yz 250 for woods and occasional mx when I am working on my mx bike or something. Another question, how does a ktm300 xcw woods 2 stroke compare in hp numbers, and power, with a motocross 2 stroke like a yz 250, or a ktm 250sx? I watched this video https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=888685 and man! does it make me want to get a 2 stroke and ride harescrambles!

i got a 05 yz250 a couple months ago and for trails i love it. mines pretty much stock other than clamps and bars. some people get heavier flywheels for better lowend, rekluse clutch, and a gnarly pipe. in my experience my bike stock works and handles great in the woods, really all depends on personal pref and how you ride the bike. only complaint i have is vibration but that can be solved by rubber mount, grips, and filling bars with expanding foam. so id say try one out for yourself if you can. never rode a ktm but i hear that they are excellent woods bike. the ktm 200exc is another one you should checkout. heard the 300 is a powerhouse. id search TT for other threads cuz ive seen a few asking if the yz250 is a good trail bike. hope this helps

The yz 250 2t is not only a good woods bike, it's the BEST. Oh sure this bike might do this better and that bike might do that better but there is no other bike that comes close to combining it all for the woods. From lower purchase price to well engineered longevity, from puttering with the kidies to slamin' 3' logs. Throw it down the side of a mountain, whisper sweet nothin's and she'll start right up. Havin a good day and Think your David Knight? it'll save your sorry ass when you push over your limits. A loser with the tools? It'll forgive you. Want it a little milder, easy. Want it to tear your arms out, easy. Want rear suspension that makes others look childish? Done. Want lots and lots of focused aftermarket stuff to drool over for the winter? Done. Want lower weight than it's "equalls"? Done. Want the awesomest colour ever? Done. Want a bike that refuses to wallow and expects you to give it your best? Done. Want to join a bunch of raving frothing blue-blinded, bike-mad, oilratio arguing, lunatics? Get yourself one!

The yz 250 2t is not only a good woods bike, it's the BEST. Oh sure this bike might do this better and that bike might do that better but there is no other bike that comes close to combining it all for the woods. From lower purchase price to well engineered longevity, from puttering with the kidies to slamin' 3' logs. Throw it down the side of a mountain, whisper sweet nothin's and she'll start right up. Havin a good day and Think your David Knight? it'll save your sorry ass when you push over your limits. A loser with the tools? It'll forgive you. Want it a little milder, easy. Want it to tear your arms out, easy. Want rear suspension that makes others look childish? Done. Want lots and lots of focused aftermarket stuff to drool over for the winter? Done. Want lower weight than it's "equalls"? Done. Want the awesomest colour ever? Done. Want a bike that refuses to wallow and expects you to give it your best? Done. Want to join a bunch of raving frothing blue-blinded, bike-mad, oilratio arguing, lunatics? Get yourself one!

why don't tell us how you really feel

I've owned my 06 YZ250 for about a year and i absolutely love it. I have the FMF Fatty Moto pipe, 2 teeth less than stock on the rear sprocket and an over sized front brake. I bought the bike because I came across a killer deal on it and I had started riding a lot of track stuff. I had been riding an 06 Husaberg FE450 for about 2 years which is an AWESOME woods bike but it was a little on the heavy side for the track in my opinion. My idea originally was to have a woods bike and a track bike. I started riding the YZ in the woods up here in Colorado just to see how it compared. Not only is it more fun and less taxing on long rides due to the fact that it's nearly 50 lbs lighter than my thumper but I'm about twice as fast on it. I'm actually going to sell the Berg because the YZ does everything so well. I've ridden many KTM 200's and 300's and they are fantastic bikes as well. My buddy has an 09 KTM 300 with the electric start and that is probably the ultimate woods weapon but I paid about 2,500 for my bike where the new 300's are almost 10K out the door. The only thing I would do differently for hard core single track is gear it down instead of up. 1st gear is a little tall but honestly I haven't come across any obstacle that I couldn't negotiate on the YZ. I just need a little more momentum on low speed rocks or logs than I would on the Berg. The power delivery is fun and very predictable. This is what shocked me the most. I expected a 2T motocross bike to be strictly "on or off" power but it's not. It definitely hits but it just makes it that much more fun to ride. The suspension is amazing completely stock. It never deflects and it doesn't beat me up at all. The initial stroke is plush enough to be very comfortable on the trail and at the same time I've never bottomed it out. Buy one! You won't ride anything else once you do!

From what i've heard the KTM is a very good woods bike, probably the best but that's because its pretty much MADE for the woods. The cool thing about the YZ is that it could be adapted for a very wide variety of riding styles with just a few parts and tweaks.

I race against a mob of 300's here in UT. They are very good and I wouldn't have any trouble owning one. I also don't feel like my yz gives up anything to them either. The yz will drag race off the start with anything out there, then it is so easy to toss it sideways and drift through the first set of banners.

I have spent some time on a '09 300 and it feels less lively than my yz. The 300 has very predictable handling and is a well rounded machine, you feel the extra weight though. The yz is a bit sharper, I think the yz asks a little more from the rider, but when ridden properly they are amazing. When cost is factored in the yz really shines.

I bought my 05 yz250 smoker specifically for racing harescrambles and would'nt trade it for anything.The cool thing is that after I set it up for the woods,it is absolutely dynamite to ride(or race)on any mx track.In order, starting with the motor,it breathes through a v force 3 into a wiseco ultralite piston(I prefer 2 rings)out through an fmf fatty and an fmf shorty.It also has a 9 oz Steahly flywheel.Works Connection did the suspension(ultra plush anywhere)I prefer Dunlop 756's and that is your rocketship for the trail or the track.