Sign in to follow this  

Excel Rim Question

would i need to purchase different spokes to fit Excel's most basic rim that you can buy on ebay? I have a 1986 yz125 but if you own a bike with either the front rim of 21x1.6 or rear of 18x1.85 and have an excel rim matched to your oem hub and oem spokes any comments would be very much appreciated.

I laced up some black Excels in those exact sizes to my '08 WR250F. On mine, the rear spokes fit the rear rim, so I laced the new rim to the stock hub using the stock spokes and nipples. From the information I found, the front spoke nipples were too small to fit the Excel rim holes and required larger nipples. I found an Ebay deal on the rim and Excel spoke and nipple set, so I used that and laced it to the stock front hub. Your application may be different but there is info out there as to if your stock stuff will lace right up. The whole lacing process took a few minutes of figgurin', then I took a few close-up photos of the wheels in case I got lost. It really was easy and went smoothly after that.

Thanks bro i appreciate the info it really helps. I imagine i will have to encounter the same problem so thanks for the heads up and tips.

If anyone else has any other information or ideas or tips that would be great

The current Excel rims for the fullsize bikes use 8.5mm nipples. The stock 86 YZ nipples will be small. Buchanan Spoke and Rim (626-969-4655) can make the spokes you need. If your YZ has drum rear brakes, the angle of the spoke holes on the drum side of the rim will be off, causing the spokes to bend coming out of the rim. You will need to have the spoke holes reangled to match the drum rear wheel. WD